Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good source of cheap gravel

3 posters

Go down

Good source of cheap gravel Empty Good source of cheap gravel

Post by GaryE Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:42 am

I decided to convert a couple of larger tanks from rocky hardwater biotopes to rainforest tanks. The big issue I had there was my gravel. I had used gravel from the hardware garden centre, as it released a lot of minerals in the water. That's what I wanted then, but really don't want now.
My beloved lfs has aquarium gravel at $20 for 25 pounds. Doing two tanks would cost an arm and a leg, and while I like to support them as much as possible - that is beyond possible.
I found a couple of pool supply stores locally. The first had sharp silica gravel - too sharp for digging fish not to be harmed by it. The second had a dark grey gravel of a perfect size - and of a colour that would really show off the fish. It was at $7.99 for 50 pounds.
I bought a bag and brought it home. I took some and put it in a jar to test it. In the US, all pool filter gravel must be chemically inert. In Canada, or at least in my corner, I know of no set standards. The info on the bag was not detailed, but it did claim to fit the standards of all filter manufacturers and their guarantees. So I figured I might have bought neutral, inert rock.
Bingo. There has been no increase in hardness over 48 hours ... and I have a source of cheap and nice gravel.

I see aquascaping in my future.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Good source of cheap gravel Empty Re: Good source of cheap gravel

Post by Biulu Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:59 am

When I was looking for sand, I googled pool stores as well and couldn't find any.... Now pools on your side of the island are more common than on mine, but still...

I ended up buying sand in Rona and although a bit lightly coloured it turned out to be good quality and I didn't lose much during the rinsing.

Do you think that your gravel would be suitable for cories?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Good source of cheap gravel Empty Re: Good source of cheap gravel

Post by caoder Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:15 am

There is also another pool store that carries white sand. Its rather nice. I think its at 11 for 50lbs though.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down