Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is K&E sandblasting sand same as Black diamond?

Go down

Is K&E sandblasting sand same as Black diamond? Empty Is K&E sandblasting sand same as Black diamond?

Post by Grandscale on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:14 am

Hello and thank you for having me in your group.
I've seen a few posts about this but nothing really definitive.

In Ontario, black diamond sand doesn't seem to be available. I've read that many people had success using black diamond back sand as a great cheap alternative to other black substrates.

Anyone used k&e and what was their experience with it. Especially if I want bottom feeders who will be burrowing.

I've found the composition of it but I'm no chemist.
Perhaps someone could let me know if it's equivalent to black diamond sand and as safe.

Thanks 😊
Cheers

Grandscale
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Is K&E sandblasting sand same as Black diamond? Empty Re: Is K&E sandblasting sand same as Black diamond?

Post by alexmtl on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:54 am

Hi @Grandscale,

Welcome to the pond Very Happy

I am not familiar with K&E

In my experience I prefer to have an understanding of the inert sand composition, as well as size, and the texture. I have had issues in the past with "sharp" edged substrates where it irritated the bottom feeders as they move the substrate with their mouth. I threw out the substrate when I discovered that it caused the barbels/whiskers to inflame.

What is the composition? Does it contain rock which will leach or increase hardness?
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum