Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ammonia in tap water

2 posters

Go down

Ammonia in tap water Empty Ammonia in tap water

Post by NorthwoodJesse Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:13 pm

I have been testing my water on a regular basis and i have noticed .5ppm Ammonia in the tap water. Should i even still do water changes at the moment. All my tanks have 0ppm in them currently. Would changing 30% of the water be more harmful then good?
NorthwoodJesse
NorthwoodJesse
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Ammonia in tap water Empty Re: Ammonia in tap water

Post by alexmtl Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:08 am

I'm not sure where you are located, but municipal water supply could be the source of ammonia. The use of chloramine will cause such a reading. The commercially available test kits may not be sensitive to whether detect the various forms of nitrogen compounds.

The source of ammonia would be important to know. For myself I know the water supply and the treatment protocol, and that chloramine is not used. I have thought about an RO system but that would be expensive.

If I were concerned about any nitrogen in my water I would consider Prime or water treatment to chelate the nitrogen and chlorine. For me I do not like using any water treatment to rid of chemicals added however but if options become limited it would be a last resort. Perhaps I would think about settling water in large plastic drums (like a plastic garbage can) for a few weeks to see if the ammonia can gas out.

Anyways, interesting reading on the test kit. If you were wearing gloves, the reading would be true. Sometimes people erringly use their fingers to handle the test (ie ammonia on skin reaction).
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

NorthwoodJesse likes this post

Back to top Go down