Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favorite fish...

+6
nyleveiam
Starfish
Suprd71
Orlon11
Shell
l_l_l
10 posters

Go down

What is your favorite fish... Empty What is your favorite fish...

Post by l_l_l Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi !!

Everybody has there favorites in life, and also their dislikes..

I'm interested in seeing what you guys have for both, and the reasons behind it.
It's fun to see that everyone has different reasons for loving a thing, and I think that in fishes, it would be even more interesting.

My personal favorite is the Rummynose tetra. They are always on the move, they are beautiful in a well aquascaped aquarium and are hardy once they are established.
I got the opportunity of seeing a 60+ school the other day in a very large discus aquarium and the sight was striking. It was magestic.

I love how they always stick together, or when they are intersted in something, they will break of the shoal and suddenly remember they are supposed to be with their fish friends. They look a bit like clowns in black and white striped pants.

The fish I most dislike would be the common pleco.
I always have a chill going down my spine when I see a huge pleco stuck against a tank front window, showing how huge of a mouth it can have!
I'm also astonished how much poop they produce. It appears that whatever food they eat, it comes out x3..

I can't wait to read what you guys have for favorites/least loved fish! Smile
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite fish... Empty Re: What is your favorite fish...

Post by Shell Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:08 pm

This is a tough question for me as I really have no favourite - there are so many reasons I love each type of fish that we have, and each reason differs to some degree!

I will say that I love panda corydoras, but they are my least favourite choice for a fish to live in a 'glass box'. I have had negative experiences with them, and I have heard about others having negative experiences with them. Now, Callie, our lone panda survivor, is doing well, and has been for well over a year! Thank goodness, as we love her dearly Smile

Top fish with personality plus based on my experience? Weather loaches, gold barbs, angelfish, tequila fish, bettas, and black skirt tetras.

Top fish based on curious, odd behaviour in my experience? Mosquito fish!

Top fish based on being just plain adorable in my experience? Corydoras, guppies, zebra loaches, and khuli loaches.

Now, if we are going to mention the fish that are cool to watch, swift in movement, and just plain beauties, I'd say my denison barbs....they are awesome, but they generally do not acknowledge my presence, Laughing

Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Orlon11 Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:15 pm

I love my kuhli loaches and scarlet badis - I guess I'm attracted to stripy fish that like to hide! I kind of enjoy not always knowing what I'm going to be able to spot in the aquarium.
Orlon11
Orlon11
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:33 pm

I have always loved Oscars. Just a puppy in an aquarium. Kept properly they provide years of enjoyment. Least favorite is any hybrid that are just man made freaks. The Flowerhorn comes to mind. Poor fish with tennis balls growing from their skulls.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Suprd71 wrote:I have always loved Oscars. Just a puppy in an aquarium. Kept properly they provide years of enjoyment. Least favorite is any hybrid that are just man made freaks. The Flowerhorn comes to mind. Poor fish with tennis balls growing from their skulls.

Oh my - you just reminded me of the 'fruit loop tetras,' I become very upset when I see these guys in pet shops...the poor guys are not meant to be pink and blue! My gosh, black skirt tetras are gorgeous as they are!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Shell, I think you just listed every fish you own as your favourite. I guess that's why you keep them. Very Happy Wink

I too, would have a hard time listing just one favourite. That's why I have more than one tank and would have more it I could.

I really like German Blue Rams, but have never had one.
Angels never really interested me until recently, and now that I have one, I really like it but probably would not have more than one.

The most interesting fish I have ever owned was a pair of egyptian mouthbreeders, but you can't find them anymore.

I really like my odessa barbs. They are colourful and active. So are my snakeskin barbs and the denison barbs.  I guess I can say that I like barbs.

I like the rainbows too, but after losing them to suspected fish tb, all except for one, I may not keep them again.

I agree with Suprd71 about the flowerhorn and other genetically grotesque fish. But I also don't like chinese algae eaters. They are fine when they are small, but as the get bigger they no longer eat algae and are a hazard to other fish, especially flat sided fish. I had one before I knew what they were really like (lfs staff don't usually tell about the dark side of this fish) and it caused the demise of few tankmates. Evil or Very Mad

Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Starfish - you are correct, I named every fish we have! As I said, I can't pick a favourite, I can only comment on why I find each type so interesting! Laughing
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:48 pm

I will answer this exactly as I answer when my helper kids ask me which one of my dogs is my favorite... when I put a fish in my tank (or a dog in my house), I plan to love it and take care of it to the best of my ability with no favoritism.  However, I don't believe either my dogs or, especially my fish, realize that I may sometimes favor some over others for differing reasons.  Depends on how tired I am and/or how much barking the dogs are doing!!
Of course, in both cases I do not purchase dogs OR fish that I don't like and the ones that I have living here are the ones that I love and are my favorites while they are here.
Yes, some (both dogs and fish, again) are easier than others to live with but you can hopefully find enough good in them all to treat them all the same.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:52 pm

nyleveiam wrote:I will answer this exactly as I answer when my helper kids ask me which one of my dogs is my favorite... when I put a fish in my tank (or a dog in my house), I plan to love it and take care of it to the best of my ability with no favoritism.  However, I don't believe either my dogs or, especially my fish, realize that I may sometimes favor some over others for differing reasons.  Depends on how tired I am and/or how much barking the dogs are doing!!
Of course, in both cases I do not purchase dogs OR fish that I don't like and the ones that I have living here are the ones that I love and are my favorites while they are here.
Yes, some (both dogs and fish, again) are easier than others to live with but you can hopefully find enough good in them all to treat them all the same.

Well said. Fishbowl
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Well put by Nyevelam - and I don't have a favourite fish. I think I have favourites from each GROUP of fish, but then there are so many different groups. And there are so many species I've never seen. Maybe they'd be my favourites? There's a reason I have a fishroom...
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Hmmm,

This really depends how your asking the question,

My favorite fish of the fish I own is the beast that lives in my backyard, also know as Tigger. He is more then a fish, he is my favorite pet. He has such a personality(and attitude) like no other fish I have ever had.

If were just talking fish in general than yes it would be Koi for sure. To be more specific I would have to say a Showa Koi, probably a GinRin Showa at that. I have one, but he's still small at about 6" but shows great promise.

For SW fish I would have to go with a Clown Tang, I have one named Bozo and he will be something else when he reaches full size.

As I have mentioned before the Holy Grail for me is a Black Tip Reef Shark. Had the chance to get one last year at a great price, but I am just not ready for such a fish. Some day I will construct a large circular tank that can house such a fish in comfort, but not this year.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Steve - Tigger is of my favourite fish, and I have never even met him! I have learned so much about him through your comments and videos!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Shell wrote:Steve - Tigger is of my favourite fish, and I have never even met him! I have learned so much about him through your comments and videos!

Thanks Shell,

That's one thing i love about this forum, we get to meet and enjoy so many different types of fish without ever having kept them.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 am

Enjoying this thread. My "favorite" fish has a lot to do with where I am at in life and what is going on around me. I tend to care a lot about all my fish but my favorites can really change. Right now my favorite is my Zebra Danios (suprising right) because of the way my 2 year old loves to watch them zoom around and chase each other.

A few years ago (2005) I was in a really tough spot in life and had a bala shark and at the time was my favorite because he looked so cool and calm... and I just seemed to connect with him.

From 2006-2010 I was living in the Philippines and had two Oscar fish that were so cool. I had bamboo growing out of a custom made filter system and for some reason was able to keep Goldfish with the Oscars... go figure.

I guess I like all kinds of different fish. I don't have the aversion that some do for the hybrids, unless it is obvious that they suffer because of the breeding/selection.

My least favorite... I have had continual problems with Platys getting sick and don't buy them.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 am

It's fun because our favorite fishes will change depending on the time when the question is being asked.
If you had asked me a year ago, I would had said that my favorite is the Betta because of how beautiful and different they are from specimen to specimen.

Today is a different thing, and in a few months, should be different as well Smile
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Nylevveiam said it best although I must admit that Beta's are one species who are more favorite than some. They are what my daughter started me on.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down