Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ID shark doesn't seem to be eating...

5 posters

Go down

ID shark doesn't seem to be eating... Empty ID shark doesn't seem to be eating...

Post by Sandman1969 Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:14 am

My ID shark that we've had for about 2 years now, does not seem to be eating anymore. I have not changed his food at all either. I have always fed him Cobalt Aquatic shrimp pellets that sink to the bottom as he never went to the surface for food.
Now, he goes down to where his food has sunk to then swims away without eating any. He used to eat it as it sunk.
He looks healthy, even for being smaller than he should be.

Any ideas? FTR, I do 50% water changes each week along with cleaning the gravel.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

ID shark doesn't seem to be eating... Empty Re: ID shark doesn't seem to be eating...

Post by CAAIndie Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:02 am

Beyond a much bigger tank, doubling the water changes (or more) and see if it gets its appetite back.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

ID shark doesn't seem to be eating... Empty Re: ID shark doesn't seem to be eating...

Post by Sandman1969 Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:27 am

Well, I dropped in some algae wafers and he ate both. But doesn't care for the pellets now, even though he loved them & used to gobble them up to the point he got fat for awhile.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 am

You repeatedly fail to address the fact that your tank is way overstocked, under filtered,your water changes are insufficient, and you continue to overfeed. There is no mystery here.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:13 pm

I have to agree. I'm sorry if this sounds blunt, Sandman1969, but I've seen several posts from you detailing the troubles you are experiencing with your tank. Our members always have the same response: your tank is overcrowded, underfiltered and too small for the inhabitants you've chosen, yet you continue to add fish/ask for suggestions for tank mates. The root of all the problems you experience comes back to this. Again, I am not trying to offend, but if you handle these root issues, the difficulties you are experiencing with unhealthy/dead fish would be significantly decreased! Good luck with your ID shark and I truly hope that he/she pulls through!
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Ok first, no one has ever said anything about my 130G tank being under filtered as I am running a 325GPH pump on the big filter along with the XP3. The water quality is fine as I get it tested maybe once a month.
If it was under filtered, how is it that the quality is not worse? Also, how is a weekly 50% water change insufficient?? Am I supposed to drain the tank completely??

Also, how is one feeding a day too much??????? You want me to starve them now?

Yes, we lost the Colombian sharks due to them needing brackish water earlier than we were told. Not a tank specific issue with them.
The loaches were due to other reasons and were only purchased about a month prior. One did not die from water quality issues as that doesn't leave the head left.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:38 pm

The water changes and filtration don't make up for the fact that the fish don't have enough space. The stress from overcrowding and being in such close proximity with each other could make them more prone to getting sick. I don't even know that much about ID sharks but a quick google search tells me that they tend to be unsuited to home aquaria because of their large adult size.
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:58 pm

I forgot to mention that the shark ate algae wafers instead, which is part of it's diet. He is a finicky shark though.

ceph, the id shark in question has not grown in the 2 years we have had him. He swims around with ease as well as the 2 plecos are never in his way.

Nitrates & nitrites are low to non-existent.

Also, if the quality was bad, then how is it that the other fish are doing well? As someone stated prior, the loaches are delicate fish and I was unaware of that. That again does not equate to a bad tank.

Is it not normal to change the diet of fish now and then?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Feeding could be cut to 4 to 6 times a week, and smaller portions. While this may improve the situation, this won't solve the problem.

Water changing percentages can be increased, and the frequency too. We were not suggesting that you empty the entire tank at once. With that kind of bioload one could be doing 50% changes 3 times a week. This won't solve the problem either.

There is just too much fish, and not enough tank.

Ultimately an ID shark should reach 3 or 4 feet. I have read about people NEEDING 500 to 1000 gallon tanks for a single fish. The lack of growth indicates that the fish is probably stunted. This could also be related to the eating issue, as long term stunting can lead to a number issues with the internal organs. This can result from lack of space, and/or water issues. The noted ammonia spikes you have mentioned in previous posts is almost certainly directly related to the bioload of the tank. Even very low levels of ammonia are very hard on a fish, and could certainly relate to the stunting too. Sorry about this.

The underfiltering comments of members don't necessarily relate to the size of the tank, rather the bioload for the tank. The turn over rate may be okay, but if there is just too much fish waste being produced for the nitrifying bacteria to process it all. For example, you could put a big canister filter on a 10 gallon tank, but the bioload would still be too high if you put a bunch of goldfish in it.

I have personal experience with a single common pleco easily outgrowing a 90 gallon tank. The amount of waste they produce is also huge. You have expressed that nitrites and nitrates have been low to non-existent, ANY nitrites, even very small readings can contribute to the issues you have express through this post and previous ones.

I'm sorry to bare this kind of news to you. If we had a good solution, it would certainly be shared by our members. I very much understand not wanting to hear this kind of news, especially after growing attached to your fish, but it is the reality of it.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:08 am

The shark was stunted long before we rescued him from an LFS for free. He was in a 10 gallon tank before they got him & he was in one there as well. So the 130 is not the cause of his stunting.

But my question about filtering was not answered. Is the 325GPH pump along with whatever the XP 3 dishes out not enough? If not, then I guess Big Al's doing the liquid tests for me are lying when they say the water quality is fine ? The ammonia "spike" by the end of the week is not a weekly thing btw.
I do have a bigger pump, but not sure if it would overflow the 10 gallon tub that I use as the filter. With the 325 GPH running, the water reaches to about 2 maybe 3 inches from the top of the tub.

Since I have 2 baby ID sharks, would cutting the feeding back a few days be enough for them?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:57 am

Thing to keep in mind re gph.. ratings are free flow amounts, not calculated with media in. Deducting 30%(could be more) you only have a combined turnover rate of about 3.5. With your heavy stock and bioload you really should be upwards of 10x. Your xp3, while a great unit quality wise, is just not big enough. Your filters are being overwhelmed both mechanically and biologically. Your fish can easily survive with 3xweekly feedings, thats all they require and waste output will be reduced, def a good thing for your tank. And you really should test your own water, not suggesting BigAls is lying to you, but perhaps they are not doing the test properly. Its just impossible to have good readings with your stock, bio load and water change sched.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 am

I do plan on getting my own liquid test kit, once we can afford it.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down