Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs...

+4
goldfishbetalover
hello_rockview12
Biulu
Shell
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs... Empty I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs...

Post by Shell Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 pm

I was watching our two panda cories, when I saw what I thought was an odd looking snail on the glass. So, I pulled it out and noticed it was squishy, no shell. Immediately, I thought it might be some kind of pest or parasite, so I looked for more, and found three more, one on the glass, two on the moss ball...proceeded to take each one out...after pulling the fourth one out, a horrible thought occured, what if these are cory eggs? I put the fourth one into the old snail tank, just in case. There are at least three more in the cory tank that I can see.

I looked it up online and found out that yes indeed they do attach their eggs to glass and plants, usually close to a current, which is where I found all of these...could these be panda cory eggs, or might they really be something else? Are cory eggs squishy or hard? Oh my gosh, if they are panda eggs, I just murdered three - I'm feeling so sick about this  Crying or Very sad
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs... Empty Re: I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs...

Post by Biulu Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:19 pm

The cory eggs normally feel like dried up silicone. You know, still somewhat flexible but hard enough not to be able to squash them.

It could well be that these are eggs. If this is the case, add some flow and methylene blue or other fungicide to the tank to avoid that the eggs start fungusing.

If you don't take the eggs out (the ones you can still see) they will be eaten in no time, even by their own parents given a chance...
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs... Empty Re: I think I just destroyed Cory Eggs...

Post by hello_rockview12 Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Good luck! I hope you manage to breed them! Perhaps you could slowly repopulate your crew of Pandas.
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Yep - they have a silicon-like feel, but do squish easily (I really wish I did not know that). I'm not overly worried about Callie and Red eating them - though I know it is certainly possible! I'm more worried about the ramshorns in there. I just caught one of the ramshorns eating an egg. I knocked it off of the egg, but it looks like it ate a pinhole through it Mad 

I have the other egg I took out (before realizing it might be an egg) in a small, maybe 1/2 gallon, bowl with an airstone running in it now.  I know it is not the best, but it really is all that I have at the moment. There was an accident very close to here and traffic is backed up (hubby has been stuck for about an hour now), so I cannot get into the LFS to buy a better tank for the eggs.

I'm wanting to move the remaining two that I see over to the bowl...but how do I go about safely doing that? I used a turkey baster for the others...but it was a rough catch as I did not know what I was scooping out of there...

I'm not sure if moving this topic to the breeding section would jinx me or not!!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Use a credit card and put it with one side under the eggs. Then move the card upwards as if you were doing the windows. The eggs are somewhat sticky and will stick to the card.

Then move them over to the jar.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:12 pm

oh my goodness!
this is great!......
did u get them out yet?
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:08 pm

We managed to move them both over to the small bowl. I cannot say that they both went well. The first one was easier than the second, but there was a snail chowing down on it by the time I got to it. The second one seemed stuck, it ended up releasing, but then falling to the bottom - so, I used the turkey baster to get it. I am not going to keep my hopes up. Darn.
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:11 pm

did not mean this is great u may have destroyed them
this is great u may have babies coming...
my choice of words and flow...uggghhhhhh
hugs
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:15 pm

goldfishbetalover wrote:did not mean this is great u may have destroyed them
this is great u may have babies coming...
my choice of words and flow...uggghhhhhh
hugs
I knew what you meant! It would be amazing if these guys have babies, especially after what they have gone through. I am just not certain that this will happen. I was unable to get them out until after I tutored. So, when I got back, a snail was already eating one of the eggs. So, I am not going to keep my fingers crossed on this one. Crying or Very sad 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:32 pm

well I will on my end and wait.........
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:35 pm

This is so frustrating; I write a message and when somebody else happens to post in the same thread around that time, I lose my post!

I was saying: No stress Shell; normally when cories start laying, they lay eggs during consecutive days. Keep your eyes open tomorrow morning to see if they have put more.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:37 pm

that's reassuring news shell!!!!!! and encouraging!

Last edited by goldfishbetalover on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add word)
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:10 pm

This does make me feel better...I'll keep my eyes open and...fingers crossed!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sucker4plecos Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Corys will usually spawn after a change in the barometric pressure.... as when a storm front comes through it seems to trigger them - spring rainy season is when they would normally spawn in the wild. I find that a cool/cold water change can bring on spawning.

The eggs are round yellowy-white semi translucent and they are sticky. What I do with the eggs is lightly roll them on the glass until they stick to my finger and then remove them. I hold a small ball of Java moss in my other hand and attach/wipe the eggs onto the moss and look for more eggs. After I have finished with eggs for the moment (there could be more 15 minutes later) I put the moss into a tank of water or a breeder net in the same tank as they were spawned in.... have an air stone running under them. I like using almond leaves and/or alder cones as a natural anti-fungal agent. The eggs hatch in 2 or 3 days and the fry will hide under the moss and eat micro foods like infusoria for the first few days after they finish off their yolk sack. You can try some "green water" as well. After that you can try some baby foods like frozen BBS or some of the powdered foods available (I really like Hikari "First Bites" for many of my new fry)... They should grow and start to swim around searching for more food and after that you are pretty much home free..... good luck....
sucker4plecos
sucker4plecos
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Wow, well that would make sense where we just had a big storm. We will get the breeder box in there. Perhaps, I can use the moss ball as a substitution for Java moss. I do hope they lay some more eggs...
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 am

keep up with what you are doing to maintain that tank, they will spawn when they feel like it. Just know that they are spawning, showing you they are happy in your tank. Smile
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 am

If you tell us you were wearing a ninja mask, juggling razor sharp machetes and growling before flinging yourself into the tank with a howl of heartless rage, I'll believe you destroyed Cory eggs.
Otherwise, you discovered some the hard way, and can pat yourself on the back for succeeding in getting C panda to spawn. That's a nice symptom of Corys being very well cared for. Corydoras spawn when they are happy and well taken care of. They just delivered a vote of confidence to you!
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:08 am

GaryE wrote:If you tell us you were wearing a ninja mask, juggling razor sharp machetes and growling before flinging yourself into the tank with a howl of heartless rage, I'll believe you destroyed Cory eggs.
Razz Laughing  Not only did this make me feel better, but both hubby and I got a great laugh out of it!! Razz Laughing 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:34 pm

any updates?....
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:45 pm

goldfishbetalover wrote:any updates?....
No more eggs from the panda cories. Nothing has happened as of yet with the ones in the small tank. The only change I can see, is that one of them has a black spot in the middle. I am not sure if this is good, because the egg is still bright white. The other egg is more of a yellowish color.

On a different note, how often should I be changing the water for the eggs? Daily?
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:31 pm

they are so small it is hard to see them.
I rescued 6 today from my tea strainer I floated on top of the plants to hatch the eggs in.
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:37 am

Any action from the eggs?
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:45 am

hello_rockview12 wrote:Any action from the eggs?
No, nothing. It has been seven days now, so is it safe to say they will not hatch? I only ask because it looks like the moss ball in the panda tank now has eggs on it, but it is in the back, so really hard to confirm! I'd like to pull it out, but I'll want to have the other smaller tank ready for them if I am right (i.e. take out the two that have been in there for the past week)...
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 am

that;s too bad
would have been exciting!
keep a watchful eye for more!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:12 pm

You can simply take a large enough tupper, fill it with tank water, transfer the moss ball into it and float the tupper in the cory tank. In this way you can be sure that the water has the same characteristics including temperature.

Add an air stone for aeration and you are fine.

However, if you want more eggs return the moss ball in the tank, so they can lay more eggs in them.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next