Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does your dream tank look like?

+5
Sbenson11
caoder
GaryE
goldfishbetalover
CAAIndie
9 posters

Go down

What does your dream tank look like? Empty What does your dream tank look like?

Post by CAAIndie Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Here is the situation:

If you could only could only have 1 tank, and money and availability was no object... what would your tank look like? What would you keep?

CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

What does your dream tank look like? Empty Re: What does your dream tank look like?

Post by goldfishbetalover Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:27 pm

I just want a HUGE tank for all my goldfish!!!!!!!
seriously that's it!!!!!!
all I can think of at the moment!!!!!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

What does your dream tank look like? Empty Re: What does your dream tank look like?

Post by GaryE Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:50 pm

That is almost an impossible question. I think tanks should be arranged by 'ecosystems', and there are so many great ones.

I'd want a large tank. It would have a lot of plants, and as many zones as possible. The plants would be a little unkempt, and there would be algae thriving. There would be wood, and rocks, and the bottom would be sandy.

I would have some pelvicachromis dwarf cichlids - one pair for every 30 inches in what my brain has just announced would be a 12 foot tank (dream big!). I would want P taeniatus, P sacrimontis and Enigmatochromis lucanusi for dwarfs, and Benitochromis uffermani as a slightly larger inhabitant.

My dream tank is big, but the fish are all small - under 5 inches for the largest, and mostly around 2 inches.

The tank would be about 18 inches deep, but three feet front to back. There would be a deep ledge along the back, creating a shallow (maybe one foot deep) zone made to resemble a shoreline. The plants up there would emerge from the water, and that zone would be for killies. I'd have a Chrompahyosemion biteniatum group, and an Aphyosemion - maybe a dozen of each to start. There would be an Epiplatys chaperi group for the open water surface. I would have 2 dozen Barbus jae and a horde of open water lampeyes - Procatopus nototaenia.

The same tank set up could hold rainbows galore, or Poecilia orri and petenensis mollies with Central American cichlids, or my only large fish fantasy, Satanoperca daemon - a huge cichlid.

Big tank or small tank, it's hard to imagine one tank...
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:57 pm

GaryE wrote:

Big tank or small tank, it's hard to imagine one tank...
I thought you might say something like that, haha.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I would like a 12' by 4' footprint, maybe 2' deep reef tank.. I find reef tanks so amazing with the amount of life in it. There seems to be much less life in freshwater tanks as far as inverts and other things that may be kept in a tank. There is a lot of insect life in the freshwater world that we never see as part of our tanks. (i guess mainly cause they fly away after a while)
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:22 pm

Well I have three dream tanks and if your going to dream might as well dream big Smile

Dream #1 a 5000+gal tank to hold a Black Tip reef shark and some of his friends.

Dream #2 a massive salt water reef tank full of coral and huge colorful fish.

Dream #3 (this one is probably not as far off as it may seem) an indoor koi pond with a glass front so everyone can get a good look at them. Maybe even incorporate a indoor/outdoor component.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:24 pm

oh dear
so love the idea of an indoor outdoor component with dream #3.....
cool!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 pm

My tank size would actually be similar to coader's, 12 by 4 by 2, but I would keep clown loaches. I'd want the tank to act as a partition between two rooms, maybe the kitchen and the livingroom, or the office and the wreck-room. This is actually a dream tank, but I hope to make it a reality someday Smile

My other would be a HUGE outdoor pond, with an indoor winter home: a fully heated large shed or extension built onto the house. Who knows, maybe that one will happen someday....!!

PS - Steve's #3 is also looking intriguing...!!  

Now, how does one win the lottery?

Last edited by Shell on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 pm

goldfishbetalover wrote:oh dear
so love the idea of an indoor outdoor component with dream #3.....
cool!
Unfortunately that part of the dream will probably remain a dream Sad

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:45 pm

I like Gary's idea a lot, however cannot comment on the sizes as I am inch/foot illiterate.

What I would add though is a kind of small stream/ low waterfall flowing into the tank that would create natural current and an extra zone with some cobble stones in that stream/waterfall part and the habitat corresponding fish of course!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 am

For Steve - I saw a photo essay once on a tank in Thailand. The man had built a moat around his house (I'd like that!) and had it built around cement posts that were the foundation. There were walls coming down into the water between the posts, to seal if off from the outside (except under water - you could burglarize with a snorkel, I guess). It came into the house underneath, with a glass aquarium type wall all around. The indoor part was about three feet (one metre) wide, and the outside moat about three times that. In a warm country, that would be astonishing.
He had koi.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm

I think 12 feet wide by 3 feet for a footprint. I don't think I'd want it much higher than 18-20 inches. Heavily planted, huge schools of different types of tetras. I love the effect of the group jaunts around the aquarium. I'd probably toss a few rainbow species in there as well for some size. Perhaps some barbs as well but it would all depend on compatibility. I too, would like to keep the fish on the smaller side. Then I could turn my 75G into a mbuna tank!!!!!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh daydreaming........
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I want Gary's or hello_rockview's tank!! Or this one here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150555

My dream tank is huge of course, with both shallow and deep areas and some emersed and epiphytic plants too. Tons of cool aquatic plants - for this I'd probably have to go high tech with fertilizer and CO2, which is something I haven't tackled and don't have time/$$ for at the moment. Ideally the tank would model a natural ecosystem as much as possible and require minimal maintenance (though knowing little about CO2 type systems it may not be possible to have both!).

1 tank!! Not fair!! Oooh - what if you set up a huge aquarium/paludarium with several separate water areas divided by steep cliffs - then you could house several incompatible groups of species in the same tank without worrying about them killing each other!! Is that cheating? lol
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm

GaryE wrote:For Steve - I saw a photo essay once on a tank in Thailand. The man had built a moat around his house (I'd like that!)  and had it built around cement posts that were the foundation. There were walls coming down into the water between the posts, to seal if off from the outside (except under water - you could burglarize with a snorkel, I guess). It came into the house underneath, with a glass aquarium type wall all around. The indoor part was about three feet (one metre) wide, and the outside moat about three times that. In a warm country, that would be astonishing.
He had koi.
Sounds like a dream tank to me Smile

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down