Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do you spend on fish food?

+3
caoder
GaryE
Sbenson11
7 posters

Go down

How much do you spend on fish food? Empty How much do you spend on fish food?

Post by Sbenson11 Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:21 am

There are a few really addicted fish keepers on here that (like myself) spend a gross amount of money on our their pets.

So how much money do you spend on just food each month for your aquatic pets?

Mine varies according to the time of year. During the summer when the Koi are eating like pigs I figure I spend around $120 a month on food which drops to a low of about $40 a month when the Koi are not eating (Jan-Feb)

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

How much do you spend on fish food? Empty Re: How much do you spend on fish food?

Post by GaryE Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

I have 40 tanks, but the fish are small. I would guess I use at most 3/4 of a pound of flake a month, and I pay around $12 a pound for it. Live brine shrimp adds up quickly, and I have generally used three $40 cans a year. I'm hoping to drop to two. So altogether, for my over the top 40 tank fishroom, I guess I go at $20 a month, less when I cut back on live artemia. It's a lot cheaper than a cat or dog... or my kids!
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

How much do you spend on fish food? Empty Re: How much do you spend on fish food?

Post by caoder Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:13 pm

less than 10-15$ per month with some frozen food tossed in. but my wife insists on $80 per month dog food for our 1.3 dogs... (1 medium size dog and .3 of a pom / chihuahua mix)
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by the clean guy Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't spend much but I like New Life Spectrum
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 pm

It is tough for me to say because with each new tank comes more money spent! I'm just glad this question wasn't asking how much spent in total on fish, aquariums, and supplies...I would not want to sit down and figure that one out! Shocked

We do feed a variety of frozen foods, flakes, discs, pellets, and veggies...so, after some thought, I'd say we have spent about $35-40 on fishy food during the last month!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by the clean guy Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Shell wrote:It is tough for me to say because with each new tank comes more money spent! I'm just glad this question wasn't asking how much spent in total on fish, aquariums, and supplies...I would not want to sit down and figure that one out! :shock
SORRY but that information is TOP SECRET Suspect
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:02 pm

I dont want to know. With my gang eating NewLifeSpectrum, Massivore, Omega1, and various freeze dried, I would guess maybe $50 a month. And the 5 plecs with their algae wafers, they dont give that stuff away!
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I have it the other way around; I have been winning and getting foods from all sorts of places and am not able to finish it! The only thing I do occasionally (maybe once a year) is to prepare my own food just for the fun of trying out a recipe that I found on internet.

The idea is to compare the different recipes, but the food lasts me so long, that by the time I run out of it and it is time to try something else, I have already forgotten how my fish and me 'rated' the foregoing recipe!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:06 pm

I also make my own food quite often. Chopped shrimp and tilapia, green peas, fd plankton, spirulina powder, liquid vitaminC, and a few drops of garlic extract. Refrigerate overnight and good for a few days. Every fish I have loves it except my Jaguar. He will only eat high priced pellets and krill. Wont even eat a juicy earthworm. Spoiled brat!
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down