Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you prepare your tanks for winter?

3 posters

Go down

Do you prepare your tanks for winter? Empty Do you prepare your tanks for winter?

Post by GaryE Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17 am

It's been a rough week in the fishroom. We had two power blackouts this week - 5 hours and 7 hours as they were replacing poles and transformers all around our tree-filled neighbourhood. I've rarely seen guys work that fast. All these sub-contracted Hydro guys were getting the whip cracked at them, which means they left a huge mess behind them as they ran from spot to spot. I had quite a clean up, hauling logs and fixing fences.

And then it started spitting snow. We aren't in the situation of a lot of Canadian fishkeepers, with snow already on the ground. But I have found myself checking the running of the tanks, cleaning filters, adjusting the hot cold ratio in the python and sealing cracks in the windows and such around the tanks. Winter is coming, fast, and I want the area my tanks are into be as energy efficient as possible.

I also changed the batteries in my beloved point and read temperature gauge, which I use to read the water temp for changes. This is Ich season, when aquarists misjudge the temperature of new water going into tanks and cause their fish all kinds of problems. That little tiny turn of hot water added to the cold when I refill is going to have to become a bigger turn soon, and the tapwater will soon be ice cold.

It's time to grab a bag and collect some oak leaves in the woods for the rainforest fish and to finsih off any projects that have to be done outside. The frost giants are coming....

What do others do to get ready for the long cold winter?
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Do you prepare your tanks for winter? Empty Re: Do you prepare your tanks for winter?

Post by the clean guy Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:40 pm

How about 13 cord of fire wood BRRRRR
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Do you prepare your tanks for winter? Empty Re: Do you prepare your tanks for winter?

Post by Sbenson11 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:09 pm

I have a bunch of things to do and as most of you know I am WAY behind where I would like to be at this point.

Today I removed all the plants form the ponds. All except the water lilies and water soldier, they will have to fend for themselves all winter. Next Sat is my drop dead day for moving the fish in. I have to be ready, I have completely run out of time.

Do you prepare your tanks for winter? 8a58f82a-8630-4c97-b039-c1100fa5e182_zps50897e71

Do you prepare your tanks for winter? 881968fa-c420-4fcd-b58f-2d51d44676a9_zpsc54a0bd6

That's some very unhappy campers lurking down there.

Do you prepare your tanks for winter? 07946432-417d-4a54-8298-5953af474770_zpsfcb5cbbf

Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down