Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Base rock in fresh water tank ?

4 posters

Go down

Base rock in fresh water tank ? Empty Base rock in fresh water tank ?

Post by Jaaaay Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 am

Hey all new to the site , had a few freshwater tanks when I was younger and did saltwater for a few years then stopped for a while . I’m attempting to make a fresh water aquarium look like a reef tank in some ways . Im using base rock that’s imitation coralline algae , was also going to go with a sand bottom . I’m told the ph will drop due to the base rock , I’m gonna be using in my hang on back filter, a filter bag with peat granules in the space that’s open. I’m curious if anyone has ever done this before and if so what sort of luck did you have? As far as fish I was going to be putting in the tank glo fish danios and tetras for the most part . Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Jaaaay
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Base rock in fresh water tank ? Empty Re: Base rock in fresh water tank ?

Post by alexmtl Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am

Hi Jaaaay,
Welcome to the forum. No I have never tried this but I do know of members who use locally collected stone and pebbles for use in the aquarium. There is quite a bit of cleaning that goes on as well as steps to ensure that whatever leaches out does not harm the fish. Just my thoughts on the use of base rock material: the source is key and if it is coming from a quarry then you will need to know what conditions were used to extract the product. If it is recycled then so much more care should be used to understand where it came from. I do not know what part of Canada you are from, but I know that areas like Georgian Bay and Lake Huron have some incredibly beautiful rocks that are pitted dolomite, resembling a coral background. Best of luck, and hope to see your results.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jjohnwm Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:45 am

Covid-inspired free time has me rooting around in old threads like this, so I have to ask:  what is meant by "base rock"?  Googling it seems to indicate an aggregate of some sort used as a sublayer when  putting in paving stones.  There must be another meaning as it pertains to aquarium use?

I've very rarely actually purchased rocks, and never driftwood, for my own aquariums.  A combination of inherent cheapness, a DIY mind set and the fact that we live on a giant rock with smaller pieces free for the taking all over its surface have always prevented me from seriously considering it.  I made an exception once or twice for lava rock, due to the scarcity of volcanic activity in Manitoba. Smile
jjohnwm
jjohnwm
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by sucker4plecos Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Base rock can be used safely in a fresh water aquarium. Rinse it well before using it and very well (soak for a bit) if it has been in a salt water tank as it will have absorbed salt and minerals. Base rock is the dry "live" rock that is used to build up a reef-like setting in marine tanks. Base rock will be dry and inert while "live" rock will be wet and aged in an aquarium and filled with live bacteria, pods and other micro organisms that will help sustain the biological balance of the tank.

Now, most rock will be rather sharp and have edges to it depending on the type of rock. Fish may damage or injure themselves when scooting through it. Also, to correct the first post, the pH will not go down but it will go UP - substantially. Base rock is high in calcium and mineral levels, being created from skeletal remains. It would be fine in an rift lake cichlid tank, but I wouldn't think to use it for West Africans or South American fish.
sucker4plecos
sucker4plecos
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:09 pm

sucker4plecos wrote:Base rock can be used safely in a fresh water aquarium. Rinse it well before using it and very well (soak for a bit) if it has been in a salt water tank as it will have absorbed salt and minerals. Base rock is the dry "live" rock that is used to build up a reef-like setting in marine tanks. Base rock will be dry and inert while "live" rock will be wet and aged in an aquarium and filled with live bacteria, pods and other micro organisms that will help sustain the biological balance of the tank.

Now, most rock will be rather sharp and have edges to it depending on the type of rock. Fish may damage or injure themselves when scooting through it. Also, to correct the first post, the pH will not go down but it will go UP - substantially. Base rock is high in calcium and mineral levels, being created from skeletal remains. It would be fine in an rift lake cichlid tank, but I wouldn't think to use it for West Africans or South American fish.

Excellent insight S4P!
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down