Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada?

+2
GaryE
Soulchief
6 posters

Go down

Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada? Empty Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada?

Post by Soulchief Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Got a free 55 gallon aquarium, but the frame (both top and bottom) is cracked in multiple places, don't think I can trust it to hold up. Is there anywhere in Canada that sells new plastic frames? Or am I going to have to go DIY and build one out of wood?

Soulchief
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada? Empty Re: Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada?

Post by GaryE Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 pm

I have never seen frames for sale. A few friends who build tanks scavenge old ones, but have learned that each manufacturer has slightly different shapes.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada? Empty Re: Anywhere that sells aquarium frames in Canada?

Post by Biulu Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:21 pm

In Mexico they often build frames from metal. If you buy the right profile, it is very easy to do and it will look a lot better than wood. I think it is also more durable.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:20 am

It is hard to find craftspeople here, for projects like that. At one point, I saved some plastic frames from defunct aquariums, but they did not fit on the products of other companies.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 pm

Maybe you can ask Joey Mullen aka the king of DIY, aka uarujoey.
He's very knowledgeable and he probably already did a video about this.

In any case, maybe ask in the facebook group: DIY fish keepers
A bunch of people would be glad to help you on there.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie1 Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:40 pm

I know our local Big Al`s can order the Perfecto tank frames.
charlie1
charlie1
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 am

If I was to DIY a frame I would use sheet metal as that way you can do it relatively quick and have the strength you want. I would go with about 24 gauge steel or 28 as this will be relatively easy to bend and cut with Tin snips to size and shape you need.
A metal roofer may have what you want and already painted steel. Just cut, bend and Sauder the frame to the size you want. ( Ok maybe repaint the saudered part and cut edges)
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:04 am

Fores41 wrote:If I was to DIY a frame I would use sheet  metal as that way you can do it relatively quick and have the strength you want. I would go with about 24 gauge steel or 28 as this will be relatively easy to bend and cut with Tin snips to size and shape you need.
A metal roofer may have what you want and already painted steel. Just cut, bend and Sauder the frame to the size you want. ( Ok maybe repaint the saudered part and cut edges)  

That is exactly what I meant when talking about a metal frame!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:02 am

glad to read we had the same idea on that one Biulu.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down