Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice

2 posters

Go down

New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice Empty New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice

Post by JamesMac Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi Guys, I just bought a new 46 Gallon tank about a week ago now. I am looking to set it up as a planted aquarium. I currently have a canister filter, LED light, heater, CO2 injector, hardscape and fluval stratum substrate. I have had the water running in the tank for a few days now and added some water from an established tank to get some bacteria going in the tank. I am looking for some suggestions as far as what to put in the tank for plants and fish. I currently am wanting to put in Celestial Danios and red cherry shrimp in the tank but I am not sure what to add aside from that. If you need any other information about the setup I can fill you in on the details. Any suggestions, ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated!

JamesMac
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice Empty Re: New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice

Post by Biulu Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 pm

New tanks are always nice! CPDs are shy fish so you will need something that will not be too boisterous.

Keep it small, I would say. What about some pygmy cory type for the bottom or a small loach? They will not be harmful for the shrimp.

In its natural habitat it occurs with very few fish, of which the rosy loach can be found occasionally in the shops. This small loach is very interesting and nice to look at.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice Empty Re: New 46 Gallon Tank, Looking for some advice

Post by JamesMac Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:17 pm

I was thinking about some cory's too, the rosy loaches sound like they would be a good addition as well. I was also hoping to get another schooling group in the tank such as a group of tetras or another type of danios. Are there any larger fish (5-7") that might do well with the others? I was think a pair of Opaline Gouramis.

JamesMac
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesMac Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:21 pm

JamesMac
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:29 pm

If you are looking for gouramis, better take honey gouramis (Colisa chuna). These are by far the most peaceful gouramis there are.

The colour variations like sunset, flame or whatever they want to call them have colourful males and females.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesMac Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Those sound good. So I guess the plan so far is 12-18 CPD's, 6-10 Rosy Loaches, 2-4 Cory's, 8-12 RCS and a pair of Honey gouramis. That sounds like a fairly full tank to me.

My brother is wanting to add a Betta into the tank, I'm worried it might be too aggressive and lead to problems in the tank, any thoughts on that?

Thank you for your help by the way!

JamesMac
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:20 pm

It depends a bit upon the betta: I have had bettas that decimated my shrimp population but currently I have one that lets them be.

I would definitively not put the betta with the gouramis in the same tank.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down