Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House...

+4
CAAIndie
Fores41
FishHobby
Sbenson11
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... Empty Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House...

Post by Sbenson11 Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:19 pm

We it's not much of a start but it is a small one,

I had and excavator on site today digging a new septic field, soooooooooo

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... IMG_20150925_113611_zps2cnvue1b

I figured I might as well dig the pond that will go along with the project.

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... IMG_20150926_111704_zpsot0u0ofe

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... IMG_20150926_113205_zpsfrxdt7xi

For this season it will just be a hole in the ground, by the end of next summer it will hopefully be a 10,000G Koi pond.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... Empty Re: Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House...

Post by FishHobby Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Oh my....I am really excited to see the updates. How about a underwater camera Smile ?
FishHobby
FishHobby
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... Empty Re: Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House...

Post by Fores41 Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:13 am

Well Steve Rome was not built in a day. This looks like a good start. What is the Red building is this part of the Koi house?
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:36 am

Big hole... big fish. Lots of big fish. Woo! Very exciting stuff.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am

Fores41 wrote:Well Steve Rome was not built in a day. This looks like a good start. What is the Red building is this part of the Koi house?

No that's my new warehouse, the pond will actually be between the warehouse and the Koi house. Going to a garden with a pond, some picnic tables and flowers beds, a place for me and the staff to hang out during lunch and breaks.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am

FishHobby wrote:Oh my....I am really excited to see the updates. How about a underwater camera Smile ?

I do take underwater video from time to time, no plans on anything permanent like a webcam or anything.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:10 am

CAAIndie wrote:Big hole... big fish. Lots of big fish. Woo! Very exciting stuff.

I am pretty excited to finally get this project started. This pond will eventually hold 50 Koi, that's 200G per fish. This would be the minimum I would recommend for adult fish. This is the last pond I will build here so I don't want to have to move them again. I have 36 of the fish in my collection now, just waiting for the other 14 to become available.

The winter holding tanks(2x 2,000G) for these fish will be in the Koi house right next door and share the filtration system. So it will be an easy transition in the Spring and Fall.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Sounds like you have this well planned out and how deep is the pond going to be and will you be able to stop it from freezing solid.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Oh my !

That tractor thingy looks like a "Snort" (It reminds me of the book "Are You My Mother?" a Dr Seuss book).

Have fun with Snort. Did you get a chance to play with the shovel ?
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Fores41 wrote:Sounds like you have this well planned out and how deep is the pond going to be and will you be able to stop it from freezing solid.

4.5' deep (3' feet below, 18" above) providing a edge to sit on and watch the fish.

It shouldn't freeze solid, not that it matters, the fish will be tucked away inside for the winter. These babies will not be risked outside for the winter.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:38 pm

alexmtl wrote:Oh my !

That tractor thingy looks like a "Snort" (It reminds me of the book "Are You My Mother?" a Dr Seuss book).

No I let the professionals deal with that. Just the same I did jump in with them later in the day in my tractor and help move around some crushed stone for repairs on our parking lot. I just looked through my pictures but all i could come up with is a picture from last winter of me unload a trailer of wood pellets, it's my baby Smile

Article of the Month SEPTEMBER 2015 : Steve's new Koi House... IMG-20140404-00980_zpsjd0lfw02

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Gosh golly.

I had one of those, and a dump truck, and a shovel, and a leveller. But some kid broke the wheel off the leveller so it was never the same after that. Still. Kubotas are cool. (As in diesel envy). Heck you can attach some really awesome accessories (drool). Even the salt spreader oozes sophistication.

alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:18 am

Don't make it too nice Steve; the productivity of you and your employees might plummet! Laughing
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 am

Keep this up Steve and you could end up with Tropical plants and some exotic birds and then the petting Zoo is next. There is a place in southern Ont. like that and has become so popular wedding etc. are being held there the name is Calasanty's (may be spelled wrong). It was one of my fav. places when I was a kid.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 am

Fores41 wrote:Keep this up Steve and you could end up with Tropical plants and some exotic birds and then the petting Zoo is next. There is a place in southern Ont. like that and has become so popular wedding etc. are being held there the name is Calasanty's (may be spelled wrong). It was one of my fav. places when I was a kid.

Tropical plants are par for the corse, it's something we do anyway. I actually have a trailer load of tropicals coming the end of Oct. Would love to have some exotic birds. One of my favorite places to visit in Florida is Sunken Gardens in St.Peterburg. It is a 100 year old garden that is full of Koi ponds, exotic birds and tropical plants. If i could duplicate even a small part of this in my little world I would be a happy camper.

Yes I am quite familiar with Colasanti, we buy cactus from them, pretty cool place.

http://www.colasanti.com/

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:14 am

Steve I know you could get something this good going, it will just have to be in greenhouses. By the way Colasanti is in second or third generation now.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Wow, Steve, that is a BIG kitty cat!!! I do like your little one better though!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:24 pm

nyleveiam wrote:Wow, Steve, that is a BIG kitty cat!!!  I do like your little one better though!

I like mine to, especially in the winter, I love plowing snow Smile

However today the bonehead who was operating the excavator struck my brand new building. I can not repeat what I said to the guy. Shocked the good news is we have some siding left over so it should be an easy fix(for him) but it was still very disappointing to see.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:33 pm

OMG!!!! We just had our brand new very expensive, LEAKING metal roof repaired today... I was maybe hoping the guy was gonna fall off while he was up there in the rain!!!!!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:14 am

Now, Now, such nasty thoughts. Steve I understand you on that one, lucky you had extra siding for this guy to repair with. How is the over-all build going so far?
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:51 pm

I remember Snort. That was my favourite book as a kid. I have read it to my own kids and I think I actually may still have it.

I am gone for a while and come back to find Steve building a new pond. Somehow, no surprise there. Good luck with the project Steve. I am sure it will be very inspiring when it is done and we are all going want to come visit.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:38 pm

Starfish wrote:

I remember Snort. That was my favourite book as a kid. I have read it to my own kids and I think I actually may still have it.

I am gone for a while and come back to find Steve building a new pond. Somehow, no surprise there. Good luck with the project Steve. I am sure it will be very inspiring when it is done and we are all going want to come visit.

I can picture a few Canadaquaria people here in some of the best kid's books .... oh indulge me as my mind wanders...

Go Dog Go !
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
One Fish Two Fish
(Dr Seuss books)
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:50 am

alexmtl wrote:
Starfish wrote:

I can picture a few Canadaquaria people here in some of the best kid's books .... oh indulge me as my mind wanders...

Go Dog Go !
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
One Fish Two Fish
(Dr Seuss books)

Dr. Seuss all the way!
Fox in Socks
Hop on Pop
And we can't forget the poor goldfish that had to deal with the Cat in the Hat and ended up in a teapot. I am sure he would have preferred one of Steve's ponds.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:32 am

I must have had a deprived/depraved childhood, I don't remember Dr Seuss books!!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:48 am

nyleveiam wrote:I must have had a deprived/depraved childhood, I don't remember Dr Seuss books!!!

WHAT!!!

That's not possible Smile

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next