Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

4 posters

Go down

Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern) Empty Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:10 pm

My plant profile video on Bolbitis Heudelotii

guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern) Empty Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by alexmtl Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Another great video article ! Enjoyed them all, and I have been a subscriber to your YouTube channel for a while now.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern) Empty Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 pm

alexmtl wrote:Another great video article ! Enjoyed them all, and I have been a subscriber to your YouTube channel for a while now.

Thank you Alex, this is going to be a huge series. I have tons of plants profiles I am going to do in video format. And they will all also get posted here. Have you ever commented directly on my video's on YouTube. I am just wondering if I have talked or responded to you on there, and did not know who you were.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 pm

Thank you for sharing Guppyguy I may have to try it out in one of my tanks.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 pm

That was an excellent video clip on my favourite aquarium plant. I wish I had had access to info like that when I first started with it.

Please don't imagine me in a rocking chair with a dog at my feet when I tell this story. I got one rhizome about 3 inches long in 1992, when I first joined the local club and saw the plant in the auction. That rhizome was a 30 inch piece within a few years. I now have its descendants/extendants(?) in most of my tanks.

I got some more from Cameroon in 2004. It was really hard to acclimate, but I saved some (maybe 3 pieces out of 20). Wild, it looks a lot different from cultivated forms. It has very broad light green leaves. Within a year, it looked like my other Bolbitis.

It grew like mad when I was treating for cyanobacter with potassium nitrate ferts.
If you put it off the edge of a light source with a powerhead behind it, it will extend towards the light quickly and hit 22-23 inches quickly. It grows more slowly under a direct light. It likes to be ambitious.
When it stretches to a light, it keeps the leaves down low. It doesn't get all stalky like a lot of root plants.

It drops off plantlets without the rhizome being cut. Not many, not often, but every once in a while, it seems to get very busy.

And of great interest to me, you can buy a piece and still have it going 20+ years later. That is remarkable.

Watch the video - you want this plant!
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:16 pm

guppyguy wrote:Have you ever commented directly on my video's on YouTube. I am just wondering if I have talked or responded to you on there, and did not know who you were.

No I just lurk and creep around.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Fores41 wrote:Thank you for sharing Guppyguy I may have to try it out in one of my tanks.

Your welcome. It has few needs and is pretty easy plant and quite unique in its looks too.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:31 pm

GaryE wrote:That was an excellent video clip on my favourite aquarium plant. I wish I had had access to info like that when I first started with it.

Please don't imagine me in a rocking chair with a dog at my feet when I tell this story. I got one rhizome about 3 inches long in 1992, when I first joined the local club and saw the plant in the auction. That rhizome was a 30 inch piece within a few years. I now have its descendants/extendants(?) in most of my tanks.

I got some more from Cameroon in 2004. It was really hard to acclimate, but I saved some (maybe 3 pieces out of 20). Wild, it looks a lot different from cultivated forms. It has very broad light green leaves. Within a year, it looked like my other Bolbitis.

It grew like mad when I was treating for cyanobacter with potassium nitrate ferts.
If you put it off the edge of a light source with a powerhead behind it, it will extend towards the light quickly and hit 22-23 inches quickly. It grows more slowly under a direct light. It likes to be ambitious.
When it stretches to a light, it keeps the leaves down low. It doesn't get all stalky like a lot of root plants.

It drops off plantlets without the rhizome being cut. Not many, not often, but every once in a while, it seems to get very busy.

And of great interest to me, you can buy a piece and still have it going 20+ years later. That is remarkable.

Watch the video - you want this plant!

Thank you Gary and glad you enjoyed the video. And that is incredible story you just told.. It just shows how tough and long lived this plant is. Don't worry I never imagined you in a rocking chair with a dog at your feet when as I read the story. But I did get a chuckle out of that. I have not had a plant for 20 years yet not even close actually, maybe five years with some of my java ferns. I believe the low light slower growing plants will have a considerably longer life span. This is a great plant I recommend to those who have not tried it.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:32 pm

alexmtl wrote:
guppyguy wrote:Have you ever commented directly on my video's on YouTube. I am just wondering if I have talked or responded to you on there, and did not know who you were.

No I just lurk and creep around.

lol ok its all good. At least I know you checking out the videos.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:10 am

These video profiles are excellent.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:16 am

GaryE wrote:These video profiles are excellent.

Thank you Gary and much more to come.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down