Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water changes with a hose

2 posters

Go down

water changes with a hose Empty water changes with a hose

Post by GaryE Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:32 am

I was just preparing to do a water change, while looking out the window at the snow.
I realized it might be useful to pass along a wintertime tip. A few years ago, I bought a point type temperature sensor - you can buy expensive gun shaped ones or cheaper pocket sized devices, for under $20 if you shop around. I use mine to measure the temperature of the water going through my Aqueon/python hose in winter, as it can be hard to get the hot cold balance right. This is especially important when the real cold hits - right now we are just a few degrees below zero here.
You point the device, the red laser light hits the hose and you get a reading. It takes a second, and I do it a couple of times in the course of a change on my 120 gallon. As the really cold water comes into the mix, the temperatures can really dive.

I also walk around with the thing and check temperatures in the fishroom, and in individual tanks. Once you learn its limitations (it is not a perfect technology) it is really useful. It's great for finding drafts in the house, and I got to spend Friday after school on a ladder caulking classroom drafts to try to keep my kids from freezing all winter.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

water changes with a hose Empty Re: water changes with a hose

Post by vince0 Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:28 am

I remembered you writing a similar post years back. While I was walking through the aisles of Canadian tire looking for xmas gifts. I stumbled upon a great deal.

water changes with a hose PBprjrWl

It was originally $99 on sale for $29. It also comes with a laser pointer, which my dog goes absolutely crazy for.
vince0
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down