Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NLS sinking formula, anyone use it??

+2
Biulu
nyleveiam
6 posters

Go down

NLS sinking formula, anyone use it?? Empty NLS sinking formula, anyone use it??

Post by nyleveiam Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:50 pm

I ordered some New Life spectrum Thera+A fish food today.  I mostly use flake but haven't been all that thrilled with it nor do I think my fish are thrilled, either.
I read great stuff about the NLS line, I use their betta formula and LOVE it, plus my other guys in the community tanks love it as well when they can steal it from the bettas.  And, with the first ingredients being REAL food and not left over shafts from wheat processing, etc, I was even happier.
Most of my fish are middle feeders and this stuff is advertised as slow sinking.  I got the 1mm and the 2mm sizes.  It came today and I fed everyone about an hour ago.  I was pretty unhappy... it sunk REALLY fast and my guys are used to floating food, or at least food that sinks very, very slowly.   Plus, it has a REALLY strong garlic smell, which, if you have lots of dogs around, reminds you of the smell of stale dog urine...UGH!!
BUT, now as I look around, the fishes seem quite happy!  First the Endlers headed to the bottom and started feeding like crazy...whew, those were the ones I was most worried about as they always seem to feed only from the top.  The betta girls are also still scrounging at the bottom of the tank.  They were another fish I understood would NOT feed off the bottom.  Even the Betta boys in the community tanks went down for their dinner.
I have rarely seen my cory cats so happy...finally they got food without having to wait for the others to get the best parts!!
The rainbows and the angels are not too happy... they do not feed off the bottom apparently, and are convinced I didn't feed them.  Hopefully they will learn, but I will certainly give them some flakes for a few days until they get the message if they do!
Hopefully they will because the price was right to get the 500 gram size jars and I got two of them!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

NLS sinking formula, anyone use it?? Empty Re: NLS sinking formula, anyone use it??

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:32 pm

I got a can of NLS flake a bit over a year ago; I understand it is a British product that was being introduced into North America at that time.

People were raving about it, but I nor my fish at that time seemed to notice much difference with other brands of flake food that I have used.

I haven't tried anything else from them though. It could be that there is simply very little difference between the different renowned flake brands....

I do know though that it didn't smell as strongly as what you describe!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

NLS sinking formula, anyone use it?? Empty Re: NLS sinking formula, anyone use it??

Post by l_l_l Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 am

I use NLS THERA+A food as well but this one is specially designed for more garlic in it to help with diseases.
It can float for a while and then sink.

I use a lot of products from them, I have the thera+a, the NLS micro fish community formula and the betta formula as well, all in pellets.
NLS is regarded as one of the best brands of fish food out there, you made a good choice.

My endlers really enjoy eating the micro fish formula as it is small enough for them to eat.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:33 pm

I probably should have gotten the .5 mm size. I thought the 1mm size was good but hey, we are still in the decimal system and I was thinking much smaller!!
Maybe if the special is still on I will get another in that size.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 am

I use the 1 and 2mm for most of my fish, mostly african cichlids. But when we did have a tank with smaller fish I put the 2mm in a brand new pepper mill and just used that to season oops feed the fish lol.
sailor
sailor
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:53 am

PERFECT!!! And, I even have an extra pepper mill I've never used!!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:03 am

sailor wrote:I use the 1 and 2mm for most of my fish, mostly african cichlids. But when we did have a tank with smaller fish I put the 2mm in a brand new pepper mill and just used that to season oops feed the fish lol.

Welcome sailor ! Great to have you on the forum.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykuhl Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I have used NLS with different fish with good sucess, it definitely is one of the best pellet food on the market. Although the absolute best pellet food out right now is a brand called Northfin.

Mykuhl
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:40 pm

I have also heard great stuff about Northfin.
My fish ALL ate with great gusto again tonight so I guess the NLS is a hit with them!
AND, tonight I found my first ever bubble nest in with one of the Betta boys, the one in with the rainbows. He must like the new food as well!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum