Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I scored

+7
Starfish
montrealapisto
caoder
FishOnTheRock
alexmtl
CAAIndie
Biulu
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What I scored - Page 2 Empty What I scored

Post by Biulu Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am on my way to Schiphol (Amsterdam airport) and I have in my bag:
2 pairs of t. Pumila (sparkling gourami)
2 pairs of c. chuna (honey gourami wild colour)
And 5 p. signifer (don't know the common name).

Lets hope they make it all alive!

It has been a very interesting trip fish and aquarium wise and I will report more once I can access a normal keyboard instead of my iPhone!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

What I scored - Page 2 Empty Re: What I scored

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:11 pm

alexmtl wrote:Congratulations ! Home at last.
Home is Montreal, so they are not yet home.... Let's call it vacations....
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by sucker4plecos Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm surprised they came in safe.... how did you have them packed....

So, what kind of livebearers are you bringing back "home" to Montreal...?? I've got a long list of things I'd like to have but have been told many of them I would have to actually get in Mexico .....
sucker4plecos
sucker4plecos
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 pm

sucker4plecos wrote:I'm surprised they came in safe.... how did you have them packed....

So, what kind of livebearers are you bringing back "home" to Montreal...?? I've got a long list of things I'd like to have but have been told many of them I would have to actually get in Mexico .....
they were packed in the normal fish bags they use in Europe. These are extra thick plastic bags with round corners.

The fish I bought are not livebearers but I will probably bring some 'extra blue' sphenops mollies for Gary and maybe a trio of wild helleri swordtails. I already have the females, but need to find some male sphenops. If I can find them, I will also bring some wild platies, but these are more rare and the ones that I have brought didn't survive the trip or died soon after their arrival.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by montrealapisto Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I would like to see the Euro fish bag.I always tape my fish bag corner`s

montrealapisto
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:29 pm

montrealapisto wrote:I would like to see the Euro fish bag.I always tape my  fish bag corner`s
I kept them and will probably reuse them to transport the same fish. In the meantime I might try to take a picture of them.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I have been busy trying to take some decent pictures of my fish. I thought the small fishes would be the most difficult, but no; it were the chunas. The reason: it is an acrylic tank with algae which I haven't yet removed. Thus the camera focuses on the algae instead of the fish.... Here we go:

What I scored - Page 2 9909028895_92e961dcd1
Subdominant chuna; the dominant male has a deeper colour and is almost black at the chin/belly area.

What I scored - Page 2 9908981165_b5af39c38e
Sparkling gourami

What I scored - Page 2 9909131164_e4dd5b67f4
This picture is out of focus but you can see the iridescent blue of the gourami clearly

What I scored - Page 2 9909019395_ee29e33b0c
Female Pseudomugil signifer. Sorry for the reflection but I couldn't get a decent picture differently

What I scored - Page 2 9909000465_d7a887de0b
Here you see the gourami that thinks it is a signifer (he follows them around everywhere) together with a male and female signifer.

What I scored - Page 2 9909120824_82b87a2ce8
the male is somewhat out of focus, but it gives you an idea of its fins when it is parading in front of the girls.

Last edited by Biulu on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to embed the pictures correctly)
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by ksimdjembe Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:17 pm

I absolutely love the colisa chunas! Getting them healthy and in the natural colours around Ontario seems to be getting much harder these days.
ksimdjembe
ksimdjembe
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 pm

ksimdjembe wrote:I absolutely love the colisa chunas! Getting them healthy and in the natural colours around Ontario seems to be getting much harder these days.
That is one of the reasons why I brought them; I hope to breed them and then spread this wild form colour again. These fish have been on my list for a long time.... And in the Netherlands they are so common! Every decent lfs stocks them....
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks CAA: it worked! You are right; when I hit 'host it' nothing happens.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by barvinok Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Glad your fish made it to...vacation place. Very nice pic, especially of my fav sparkling gourami. Have one, he's keeping population of ramshorns under control. It's hard to find female here. Hope you will be successful at breeding them

barvinok
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Congrats on the recovery of your fish. Hope to see them in Montreal soon!
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm

When I came home this evening, I noticed that a male chuna has tried to make a bubble nest! It is only small and he wasn't quite successful, but it is a good start!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 pm

I have had trouble taking good pictures of the chunas and the signifers. Gouramis regularly hang still, but since the chunas are in with mollies, they are either hiding or participate in the frenzy. However, I got a half decent picture of a male tonight. Here it is:

What I scored - Page 2 <a href=What I scored - Page 2 10031281394_ea0c2e67e4" />

Now comes the challenge of inserting a video; I made a video of my male signifier as again, this boy seems to be hyperactive!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Alright, let's give it a try:

Code:
[flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786]width="400" height="300" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=313f1cebd7&photo_id=10031495844" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]
[flash(500,500)][flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786]width="400" height="300" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=313f1cebd7&photo_id=10031495844" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash][/flash]

You can see that the male's fins are damaged; thanks to the sparkler male. The sparkler has now been exiled temporarily to other quarters....

This doesn't seem to work and I don't do Youtube.... Is there a way that this can be repaired?

Last edited by Biulu on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fruitlessly trying to get the video to show....)
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum