Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

school tanks

+3
hello_rockview12
CAAIndie
GaryE
7 posters

Go down

school tanks Empty school tanks

Post by GaryE Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Ah, the stuff we do. Last night I carried a 65 gallon tank and stand, with all its rocks (several buckets worth) to the second floor of our high school, so the kids in the planning room could have their fish back. I managed to get it there and install it on the stand solo. It was a workout.
It's full of malawis of various sorts now and should entertain the kids. It was a big hit last year.
I've also caught a lot of Ameca splendens, a critically endangered Goodeid from Mexico. My population was dropping, and I was concerned. I use them for ecological education, as they live in a classroom 75 gallon all school year, but oversummer in a pond. I have lots of young wandering into the minnow trap - things are looking good for maintenance. They are finally rebounding from I don't know what, and I should be able to supply other schools again.

It pays off. A lot of kids get involved and learn something useful. One of our grads from a few years ago is working for a major aquarium supply company now, and a few of my classroom fishnerds are now working their way through university or college through jobs in aquarium stores.

It's fun to take your aquaristic skills out into the community. People generally enjoy fishtanks.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

school tanks Empty Re: school tanks

Post by CAAIndie Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:34 pm

That's a fantastic, and really great work. I wish I had had a teacher like you.

I wish I could have got into the hobby sooner, and perhaps a job at an aquarium store might have paid for some tuition.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm

CanadaAquariaAdmin wrote:That's a fantastic story, and really great work.

I wish I could have got into the hobby sooner, and perhaps a job at an aquarium store might have paid for some tuition.
I'm with ya! It woulda also been cool to have a teacher as cool as Gary who would take his own time to create an interesting atmosphere for the students. Although, my high school biology teacher was pretty good. He was definitely the most fun and interesting of the staff, but no fish tanks Sad.

Good work Gary. It really shows when people actually care about their work.
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:02 pm

My high school chemistry teacher had a marine tank set up in the classroom. I spent hours just staring at it after finishing off my work. Great memories.
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimr Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am

Thats fantastic Gary! A worthy project indeed!
Kimr
Kimr
Shrimp
Shrimp

http://www.eatingdisordersrecoveryspossible.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 am

GaryE wrote:Ah, the stuff we do. Last night I carried a 65 gallon tank and stand, with all its rocks (several buckets worth) to the second floor of our high school, so the kids in the planning room could have their fish back. I managed to get it there and install it on the stand solo. It was a workout.
Now that is dedication at its best! In years to come, I bet many of your students will talk about the cool teacher they had in high school!

I will never forget my grade 3 teacher, she had guppies who lived in our classroom during the school year. It was a fun learning experience for us. We all had cleaning and feeding duties that rotated each week - who would have thought a bunch of kids would actually look forward to cleaning a fish tank!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamelajo Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm

I have a 10 gallon in my office at work and a couple of the staff love to have break in there with the beta. They find it calming.
Pamelajo
Pamelajo
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://Critter Crumbs www.pamelajo.webs.com

Back to top Go down