Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One or two filters?

+3
GaryE
l_l_l
Biulu
7 posters

Go down

One or two filters? Empty One or two filters?

Post by Biulu Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:09 am

Even though I have space for a 120 gallon tank, I have decided to go for a 75 as I have simply not been able to find a nice stand for a 120.

I currently have a Rena XP 2 canister filter on my 30 gallon with which I am very happy. This filter still has a spraybar whereas the new models don't have these anymore.

For this new tank I will have to buy a new filter, but I now wonder whether I should add a filter of more or less the same size (or one size bigger) and run the 2 or only run 1 filter.

It is important to know that this will be a planted community tank with small fish that don't like too much current.

What is my best choice?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

One or two filters? Empty Re: One or two filters?

Post by l_l_l Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:46 pm

I have heard of people combining canister filters with HOB filters with great success.
I'm not sure how well they do in planted tanks tho.

I am personally running a fluval 406 in my 77 gallon tank, with slow moving fish, at full blast, and they seem to be fine with it.
It is worth noting that I also set it with a spray bar (which cannot be bought anymore).
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:29 am

I always run two if I can. Two filters rated for 40 gallons on a 55 are ideal, as the ratings are always wildly optimistic. Then again, the only tanks I use power filters on tend to have water flow loving fish.

Two filters are better when you have to clean media, for the live media, and also when a filter wears out or breaks.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:52 pm

I would add an Aquaclear 70 or Fluval C4. Both reliable, quiet and efficient, and neither will make a disruptive current. The AC will give a good mechanical support to compliment he xp's bio. Edit that, I misread, thought the xp would go to the 75. The C4 is also an excellent bio filter, s I would do a C4 AC 70 combo.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm

The xp will go to the 75 as the 20 gallon that I get back for it already has an xp as well.

I have an AC50 lying around; you think that is too small?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:48 pm

50 is kinda small imo. 70 is significantly bigger, more turnover etc. I run 3 70's on a 55g, but I'm a bit of a filter nut. Bigger fish and more bio load though. On a 75 I run a single xp3 with one medium sized cichlid. That works well too.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:56 pm

How is the flow on your 55 gallon? I don't want to have too much current in there because of the fish I keep.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:40 am

I find with the Aquaclears, if you keep the water level up high, flow is minimal. A waterfall filter so to speak, so the further the outgoing drops to the water level, naturally the more current is produced. I like the water level down about an inch or two, allowing more O2 to be drawn into the water column. I am a fan and keeper of the bigger SA/CA fish, so water flow is not a concern for my fish. Need some serious flow to irritate foot long fish!
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by MEH Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 am

I like to use 2 filters because if something happens and one doesn't work, you aren't stranded until you buy a replacement.

MEH
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm

MEH wrote:I like to use 2 filters because if something happens and one doesn't work, you aren't stranded until you buy a replacement.

I feel the same way. I do two for increasing filtration, but having two eases my worries if one goes out.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Corvette70 Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:57 pm

I always run two or more filters on my tanks then I alternate cleanings. I also run power heads on all my tanks for water movement. ( not planted tanks) I have always belived you can never over filtrate only over stimulate. If you can and the fish can handle the current in the tank use more filters. I'm running 2 fx5 filters a small box power head for polishing the water and 2 large power heads for flow I clean on filter every few months and It keeps my water perfect.
Corvette70
Corvette70
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down