Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air pumps Inquiry

3 posters

Go down

Air pumps Inquiry Empty Air pumps Inquiry

Post by Rodda Prime Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi there!

I wanted to ask about the general consensus on different air pumps, my little 5 gallon isnt getting the surface agitation it needs with the HOB filter, the outake kind of waterfalls and it creates too much of a current for my little rcs, so i was think of adding a airstone and a sponge filter back up, I was asleep one night when the strangest noise came from the tank, which doesn't bode well for the filter >_>

Basically, I'm looking for a good air pump thats not too noisy, i got this one Marina Cool air for cheap on amazon but its so loud i can hear it from the stairs!

Any suggestions?
Rodda Prime
Rodda Prime
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://debdraws.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Air pumps Inquiry Empty Re: Air pumps Inquiry

Post by GaryE Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:30 pm

The less expensive (ie, affordable) pumps are generally noisy. They are loudest when they get back pressure - if the airstone is blocking, or if the diaphragm inside tears.
When I used them, I liked the ones with adjustable flow (you can turn down the amount of air), and I also liked to screw them into place.
The brand names? They tend to get relabelled. The ones from Hagen weren't bad, air and noise-wise.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Air pumps Inquiry Empty Re: Air pumps Inquiry

Post by Biulu Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:01 am

I have basically always used Elite. For one because these were the only real brands available in Mexico before the Chinese came in.

These only make noise when they 'move' to a place where they touch another object, like the metal of a stand. Gary's suggestion to screw them in place (they have a provision for that) is a very good one to avoid this.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down