Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

small food culture (infusoria)

4 posters

Go down

small food culture (infusoria) Empty small food culture (infusoria)

Post by vince0 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Hello Folks,

I had decided a while back to get into breeding starter barbs, and as I was doing my research, I kept noticing that the articles would generally recommend food cultures that were smaller than microworms and infusoria was mentioned.

I had never tried to put an infursoria culture together in previous years as I didn't really have a window I felt comfortable using for the cultures. As I purchased my own home and have a south facing basement window, I thought I had an ideal setup for culturing small foods.

I grabbed 2 mason jars (no need to put the caps on) and filled them with tank water. I added a broccoli leaf (didn't have lettuce) and an algea wafer. Within 2 days the water was murky, indicating a bacterial bloom and another three days later, the water had cleared up as the infusoria took over.

I unfortunately didn't get a spawn out of my cherry barbs, and I'm unsure how long the cultures will last, but I'm glad regardless that I can see small things swimming around in the jars. Maybe the endlers will get a treat as everything else I have is much larger.

Here is a picture of the cultures

small food culture (infusoria) Null_zps5485a3c2
vince0
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

small food culture (infusoria) Empty Re: small food culture (infusoria)

Post by Biulu Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 pm

I think it is about time I also get a basement with a south facing window... It is great that you succeeded! But what about your new sterbai babies?! I bet they would like some infusoria... No killifish fry at the moment?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by vince0 Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:19 pm

you are totally right, I do have some killifish fry that very well could enjoy the meal. I better go look at how to harvest these critters.

will update!
vince0
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursus sapien Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:22 pm

good post Vince. I always forget about infusoria when talking about food cultures.
Ursus sapien
Ursus sapien
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://stormiidae.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JayB Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Glad to see you had success. Looking forward to hearing how you harvest the infusoria (and who gets to dine on them)
JayB
JayB
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down