Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Butterfly koi

+2
Sbenson11
Sandman1969
6 posters

Go down

Butterfly koi Empty Butterfly koi

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:08 am

Anyone have experience with these?
What are your thoughts?
Was watching TANKED last night & they built a pond for someone & they were showing these koi & now I want one to go with my current koi.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/61/c0/cf/61c0cf8f733a063439f5703de93478eb.jpg

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Butterfly koi Empty Re: Butterfly koi

Post by Sbenson11 Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:23 pm

In a word no,

My Koi supplier has been trying to get me to take some for some time now. I have been reluctant to take any mostly for what it will start. There are still a number of regular fin Koi that I want to acquire and if I have some of these come in I will end up keeping most of them Smile

Unfortunately no mater how much I said no they are adding two in my Spring shipment for samples. They want me to hang on to them until the end of the season to gauge interest from my customers.

At any rate they are vary cool looking fish and I will probably add some to my collection some day just not now.

A couple of minor things come to mind and they really are minor. I am not sure how the slower moving butterfly Koi will fare mixed in with the savages that are my current fish. Also I wonder about the butterfly Koi being more susceptible to issues with disease with their long flowing fins.

However I wouldn't let this effect your decision in any way, they are amazing looking fish and I look forward to seeing pictures of the new addition.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:49 am

Those butterfly koi have beautiful draping finnage. As an art form I can appreciate the work it has taken to make this possible through decades of breeding. I can see that looking in from a pond that the visible view would be exciting with a pond full of these.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 am

Your not helping Alex Smile

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:29 am

OMG, that doesn't even look real!!! Looks like something I could create with one of my computer programs.
I want!!!!!!!!!!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Just remember - it is a pond fish, not an aquarium fish. It may overwinter in mega tanks like Steve has, but it would be an unlucky koi that never got out to a pond or greenhouse.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:28 pm

GaryE wrote:Just remember - it is a pond fish, not an aquarium fish. It may overwinter in mega tanks like Steve has, but it would be an unlucky koi that never got out to a pond or greenhouse.

yeah, I know.... but can't I wish???? I'm the same one worrying all Winter about my goldies, I know!!! And, yes, my pond is TOO SMALL for koi to be well cared for. It's only big enough for those goldies. I can't imagine sending something that beautiful up to my friends HUGE pond when it got too big because I would never get to see it again!!!
Maybe I will retire to Florida???? Nope, even Florida is too cold for them this Winter!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:19 pm

GaryE, I still got a koi in my 125g tank.
He/she lives with what I was told was a fantailed goldfish.
Need to get a pic on here to see what you guys think it is.

Took a quick video of them, how do I post it?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Sbenson11 wrote:Your not helping Alex Smile

Steve

They certainly would be a prized possessions. Of course, only true koi Jedi would be able to tame these beasts.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Sandman1969 wrote:GaryE, I still got a koi in my 125g tank.
He/she lives with what I was told was a fantailed goldfish.
Need to get a pic on here to see what you guys think it is.

Took a quick video of them, how do I post it?

If the video is uploaded to youtube, it is as simple as pressing the youtube button and entering the URL Smile. Makes a nice embedded video.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 am

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Has anyone watched the clip? What type of goldfish is that small one?
I was originally told he was a fantailed goldfish, but when I was at Big Al's and asked for one, the one I saw didn't even come close to this one.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Sandman1969 wrote:Has anyone watched the clip? What type of goldfish is that small one?
I was originally told he was a fantailed goldfish, but when I was at Big Al's and asked for one, the one I saw didn't even come close to this one.

It's a Comet Goldfish,

A fantail as you have discovered is a much rounder fish with a double tail.

A good example of a comet, will have a tail equally as long as it's body. Yours is pretty nice by the way.

I do have a question about your Koi, what can you tell me about it's history? How long have you had it, what size of a tank has it been in the past, etc.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Steve, we got him/her when he/she was a few inches long. Not even a year ago. It was in a 30g tank for awhile until we got the 125g tank where it has been for about 4/5 months now.
I think I need to find better food for it as I've been feeding them both that Hikari Lions Head pellets with some shrimp pellets sometimes.
After we got it home, I had to remove a green worm from it's back, roughly where the black markings are on it's upper back area is.
He's never had any issues since removing said worm and still eats like a pig.
As soon as he sees me comin toward to tank, he comes to that end wanting more food.

As for the comet, he is the last of 15 that we got when we moved to a townhouse in Woodstock ON about 4 years ago now. Some died, some I re-homed. Going by the pics I have seen of full grown ones, he just may be stunted. The original townhouse people had 15 they would put in a tiny pond & then for the winter, they were all in a 30g tank.
I had expanded the pong by maybe 100g & it wasn't long til we had gotten the 130g tank we have now that is home to the sharks.
No clue how long they had them though.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Leaning towards your Koi being a male, it's hard to tell with such a quick look and I really would prefer to see him/her from above to get a better idea.

The comet looks fine to me, I don't think it's stunted at all, not yet anyway. Smile

So lets have a look at the Kohaku in this video, notice the nice line of it's back all the way from it's head all the way back to it's tail.

Now let's have a look at Tigger,

Once agin pay close attention to the line of his back from his head to his tail. Most importantly as it comes down his back to where his body meets his tail. Not such a smooth line is it.

He looks more like a football then a prize winning Koi, but I love him just the same. This is a tell tail sign that he has been kept in to small a tank in his younger years. I can see it in your Koi as well, probably from before you had him. Fish like any pet are hard to part with, so you might want to figure out an exit plan for your Koi. Unfortunately he will not be able to spend to many years in the 125G.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:22 am

Steve, I don't know of any place close enough that would take him. We have been thinking about it for awhile now. Only thing I could come up with was this one restaurant here has a koi pond just inside their front doors.
I will see if I can get a top shot later today for you.

As for the comet, should it not be bigger than it is by now?
It's been like 3 years now that we have had him.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum