Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aquarium Resolutions

+9
Biulu
alexmtl
caoder
Shell
ksimdjembe
hello_rockview12
Sbenson11
GaryE
CAAIndie
13 posters

Go down

Aquarium Resolutions Empty Aquarium Resolutions

Post by CAAIndie Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Does anyone have any major plans for their tanks this coming year?

I have the resolution to do some more serious aquascaping this coming year. I want to really make my tank look good. I am still tossing about the idea of changing out my entire substrate to sand. I've been taking about it for ages, but just have not done it.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Resolutions Empty Re: Aquarium Resolutions

Post by GaryE Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:58 am

Hmm, aquarium resolutions could be ones to keep. I can't seem to pull off most of the ones I make about myself...
I want to keep reducing my set-up, but to be more strategic about what I keep. No impulse buying.
I want to keep breeding fish, especially my killies, which I've been cutting down on too much.
I want to use the fishroom to get back to my weight when I was 28, all the while toning muscles I no longer have and developing a six pack not filled with beer.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:08 am

Resolutions?

I have to finish my reef tank/fish room, that's the biggest project I have in the works, I just need to get at it.

I still want to try a planted tank, but that may have to wait in line.

Steve

Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:28 am

My FISH new years resolution is to figure out how to set up a pressurized co2 system and have a flourishing aquascape, rescape my 10G and start up one more tank.  Either I'd like to get some sort of dwarf cichlid set up or a large mbuna tank.  The mbuna tank is very much on the bucket list...

In the non fish related areas of my life... I gotta get back to the gym, I was an avid goer until I got possession of my home in July.  Then I got busy with renos and when they were done I never returned... even though I had plenty of time...

HERE'S TO A HAPPY, HEALTHY 2014 EVERYONE!  CHEERS! jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor rabbit

Edit: I just checked my local used website and there is a 6'x2'x2' (240G?) tank for sale! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how much trouble will I be in if I show up with that.........
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:23 am

Wow. Yeah I wish I had the opportunity even consider a tank that big.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ksimdjembe Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:50 am

Resolution: keep more consistent with water changes.
ksimdjembe
ksimdjembe
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:16 am

Ours is to finally get the 3-D background on the 220g...all of the pieces have been collecting dust now for way too long! We also need to get a background on the cories 10g. But, one major aquarium resolution for 2014 is to consistently scape and clean the algae off of all of the aquariums with every water change...we are pretty bad for letting that one go Very Happy
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am

CanadaAquariaAdmin wrote:Wow. Yeah I wish I had the opportunity even consider a tank that big.

To be honest, I probably can't either. As it stands my basement is rented out and I feel like a tank that large should likely be on top of concrete....

Shell wrote:Ours is to finally get the 3-D background on the 220g...all of the pieces have been collecting dust now for way too long! We also need to get a background on the cories 10g. But, one major aquarium resolution for 2014 is to consistently scape and clean the algae off of all of the aquariums with every water change...we are pretty bad for letting that one go Very Happy

I know the feeling!!!! It's important to clean the glass from the inside with every change or at least every other change. My 10G has gotten away on me completely in terms of trimming, it's a pure jungle! As for algae....it's a constant battle. I don't mind a bit of it but I don't want so much that it chokes out my plants!
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:06 pm

GaryE wrote:Hmm, aquarium resolutions could be ones to keep. I can't seem to pull off most of the ones I make about myself...
I want to keep reducing my set-up, but to be more strategic about what I keep. No impulse buying.
I want to keep breeding fish, especially my killies, which I've been cutting down on too much.
I want to use the fishroom to get back to my weight when I was 28, all the while toning muscles I no longer have and developing a six pack not filled with beer.

Gary! I heard about your trip to Aquatica a day before! Walked in saying no new fish and almost walked out with cories but ended up grabbing lampeyes. Its going to be hard to not impulse buy if you keep going to the store!
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:23 pm

caoder wrote:Its going to be hard to not impulse buy if you keep going to the store!

HAHAHA!!!! Laughing lol! 
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Well I think there is not one person in the forum who cannot resist the urge to buy something when they check out a LFS (I am a major offender). Forum members, being internet savvy, also tend to browse for aquarium items online, looking for deals (If I am not checking out aquarium auctions and forums, I am looking at hardware sites).

My resolutions are purely selfish :
1. To learn more about digital macro photography so I can take better pictures of fish
2. To bring in more rare livebearers

Happy New Year everyone ! It is been a pure joy to log in each day ! I look forward to even better things to come in 2014. Thank you CAC Admin (JayB) and CA Admin (msausage) for some great times since I first signed on in June.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:00 pm

Umm Caoder. It isn't next year yet.

Impulse? But everyone needs lampeyes. Why, why, why - is food an impulse?!?

Plus I had a gift card I had won at the SAM... thank goodness there were some longfins in with the Cory paleatus to convince me I didn't want to breed them...
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:16 pm

I am pretty good at avoiding impulse buying,

Most times,

ok sometimes,

actually never  Shocked 

My biggest weakness is the local saltwater shop, there is always new and exciting fish in there.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Ha... I won't be able to help myself once my salt tank is ready for corals…............
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Impulse buying happens when I get to the stores, which luckily are pretty far away for me. I tend to limit my buys to plants though, which is pretty harmless.

My only fish related new year's resolution is to finish the installation of the sink in the fish room (with or without the plumbing diagrams!) before the next spring auction in Mtl. This would allow me to use a python for water changes and then I would qualify for a larger (75 or 90 gallon) show tank in the living room!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 pm

mmmm...
A part of me thinks initially I am unable to think of anything
BUT I suppose I could make a resolution to clean the tanks a little better each time I look after them!
I have a python now...hip, hip, hooray! so I suppose with my very consistent water changes...my tanks are sparkling clear!!!!! I can be more efficient with cleaning the inside as well and all of the plants and other decorations! Here's to even cleaner tanks!!!!!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by vince0 Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 pm

My new years resolutions are to keep trying new things. In the spirit of getting started, the first project is to build my own air manifold for my Multi level rack out of 1/2" pex. I've seen them built out of pvc and though I would try this out as I had some old tubing kicking around. Next on the list is to convert my 20 gallons tanks from mechanical hob to porrett filter walls. I will probably take a breather from upgrades for a bit after that time as I build a garage behind my house. and then im adding another Multiple tank rack for smaller breeding tanks.

Its going to be a busy year for me! yay!
vince0
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:42 pm

I also have a resolution to be more diligent in my water changes. It is so easy to get busy with other things and put off the change to tomorrow.  Embarassed 

The other thing I have on the shelf (literally) is all the mini-gravel and dirt to switch out the blue gravel in my 29g.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 pm

vince0 wrote:My new years resolutions are to keep trying new things. In the spirit of getting started, the first project is to build my own air manifold for my Multi level rack out of 1/2" pex. I've seen them built out of pvc and though I would try this out as I had some old tubing kicking around. Next on the list is to convert my 20 gallons tanks from mechanical hob to porrett filter walls. I will probably take a breather from upgrades for a bit after that time as I build a garage behind my house. and then im adding another Multiple tank rack for smaller breeding tanks.

Its going to be a busy year for me! yay!

What is an air manifold Vince? Is the filter wall like the Hamburger Mattenfilter?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by vince0 Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:01 am

the manifold allows me to turn a single outlet from an air pump into many outlets.
vince0
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ownedbycats Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:47 am

-Be more consistent with water changes, pick a day of the week and stick to it
-get rid of the algae in the 20G (or as much as possible) before it smothers the plants.
-do not stock the 5g on impulse just because it only has 3 CPDs (I want to expand the school a bit, not end up with a hodge podge of odds and ends)
-new lid for the 5 g so no more losses to cats.
ownedbycats
ownedbycats
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down