Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species)

+5
catinthehat
l_l_l
Mykuhl
alexmtl
guppyguy
9 posters

Go down

Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) Empty Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species)

Post by guppyguy Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:42 pm

I have obtained 3 species of this new and rare plant that has many species and with more new ones being discovered. These plants can be grown in low to high light.

All Bucephalandra are plants growing only on the island of Borneo. They are grown on river sides in swift waters. Bucephalandra look very similar to Anubias in appearance. The Rhizomes attach firmly onto rocks and wood. The stems of the Bucephalandra are mostly pink or red, and during stress, the Bucephalandra can lose its leaves.
Bucephalandra have only recently been in cultivation in aquarium conditions. The price of Bucephalandra are very expensive, but over time will become more affordable.

Bucephalandra leaves are very colourful. Depending on the species, you would be able to see the colours of the rainbow. Majority of the species have reddish to pink stems, with shiny green leaves. Also depending on the angel you view the leaves, you will also see bright shades of blue, light green, copper, and reddish. Bucephalandra are mainly small to medium size plants. Bucephalandra are not difficult plants, providing them with good conditions like strong lighting, a lot of co2 and good fertilizer. If these conditions are met, we can enjoy their fast growth rates and their beautiful colors. When plants are converted to low tech aquariums, newly grown leaves would not be as colorful compared to high tech tanks.

Bucephalandra propagation is very similar to the Anubias, when a new growth is formed on the main Rhizome, make sure there are a couple of roots before you can cut and remove. The newly cut growths can be tied only rocks and wood with black cotton until they have take hold of the material.

The 3 species I have obtained are Brownie Red, Sekadu, and Icarus Bell. And there shown in that order listed in the pictures below.

Search for other Low Light Plants species using the hash tag link #LowLightPlants
Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) 20140714
Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) 20140817
Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) 20140818
Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) 20140819

Last edited by guppyguy on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) Empty Re: Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species)

Post by alexmtl Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for sharing guppyguy ! I am going to look this one up, thanks for whetting the curiosity
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species) Empty Re: Rare Plants (Bucephalandra Species)

Post by guppyguy Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:38 pm

alexmtl wrote:Thanks for sharing guppyguy ! I am going to look this one up, thanks for whetting the curiosity

Your quite welcome. Not to often I get the chance to write about a plant many have not yet heard of. I am very eager and interested to see how they grow and turn out. I just received the plants yesterday and still learning about them myself.  Cool 
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 pm

From Borneo ! Just reading some info on the net. Very intrigueing. Thanks guppyguy, for moving the knowledge forward !
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykuhl Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 pm

I have heard about "Buce" before. Some of the photos I have seem of them are beautiful. I really like the fact that they attach like anubias because I like to do bare bottom tanks. The only real drawback is that they are rare and expensive.

Mykuhl
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Wow. This plant is very beautiful!
I really wish I am able to find some sooner than later!
Defenitely a plant I would love to purchase.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm

l_l_l wrote:Wow. This plant is very beautiful!

A very nice plants but not cheap. But a wonderful addition. I cant wait till they grow out.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by catinthehat Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm

l_l_l wrote:Wow. This plant is very beautiful!

Check out www.angelfins.ca they have a few different varieties

catinthehat
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:12 pm

I checked them out already but the price still isn't right enough for me to take the jump. Maybe in a year? Razz
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catinthehat Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

l_l_l wrote:I checked them out already but the price still isn't right enough for me to take the jump. Maybe in a year? Razz

The prices will come down as they become established in the hobby

catinthehat
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:10 am

I'm not sure how much or how soon they will come down, unless they start to be mass produced by nurseries....They are slow growing like anubias as well which would keep the cost high....That being said, I've been in contact with the farm so we'll see....

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 pm

The PlantGuy wrote:I'm not sure how much or how soon they will come down, unless they start to be mass produced by nurseries....They are slow growing like anubias as well which would keep the cost high....That being said, I've been in contact with the farm so we'll see....

Hey PlantGuy !
That is great to see if you can bring in through your online store ! Thanks for insight and the opportunity to be able to provide
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Exciting to see that theplantguy is going to get these in.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 pm

CAAIndie wrote:Exciting to see that theplantguy is going to get these in.  

I am certainly happy to see these coming to the theplantguy site.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 am

I saw several of these species for sale in the Bangkok market. They didn't seem really rare there, but then, they are so much closer to the source!

Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Biulu wrote:I saw several of these species for sale in the Bangkok market. They didn't seem really rare there, but then, they are so much closer to the source!

Well they all come from Borneo. So I can see them being much more common there for sure. Wish you could have brought some home.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:55 pm

I will be doing a big order in a month or so....Hope to bring in lots of variety this time...john..

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:10 pm

The PlantGuy wrote:I will be doing a big order in a month or so....Hope to bring in lots of variety this time...john..

That is great news John. Looking forward to it.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:43 pm

guppyguy wrote:
Biulu wrote:I saw several of these species for sale in the Bangkok market. They didn't seem really rare there, but then, they are so much closer to the source!

Well they all come from Borneo. So I can see them being much more common there for sure. Wish you could have brought some home.

Yes, me too!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:42 pm

How are these doing Guppyguy? Any specific ones seem to do better than others? Thinking about picking some up.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 pm

CAAIndie wrote:How are these doing Guppyguy? Any specific ones seem to do better than others? Thinking about picking some up.

Well they are slowest growing plants I have ever had. They make anubias look fast. But they are beautiful and unique. Out of these 3 I mentioned I only have the Icarus bell now and it is doing well and I picked up another called brownie purple. While I had my brownie red plant, it had flowered for me 3 times and the brownie species seen to grow faster than the others I have experience with. There care is very simple you just need patience.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:01 pm

guppyguy wrote:
CAAIndie wrote:How are these doing Guppyguy? Any specific ones seem to do better than others? Thinking about picking some up.

Well they are slowest growing plants I have ever had. They make anubias look fast. But they are beautiful and unique. Out of these 3 I mentioned I only have the Icarus bell now and it is doing well and I picked up another called brownie purple. While I had my brownie red plant, it had flowered for me 3 times and the brownie species seen to grow faster than the others I have experience with. There care is very simple you just need patience.

Do you find they have similar algae issues like anubias? Only attached to objects, and not planted too correct?
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:56 am

CAAIndie wrote:
guppyguy wrote:

Do you find they have similar algae issues like anubias? Only attached to objects, and not planted too correct?

They need to be shaded by other larger plants to avoid similar algae issues that anubias can get. And yes only attached to rocks or driftwood. Once attached they have a incredibly good hold.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by kaynun Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:52 am

how can i encourage new off-shoots along the main stem

kaynun
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down