Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!

5 posters

Go down

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Empty Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!

Post by Dee Sydney Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 pm

I have White dots on fish. A pimple looking dot on my orange platy under the chin.and thé rest look like sand on thé tails and bodies .water is good. Just finished cycling new 30gallon.
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  20170710
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  20170711
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  20170712
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  20170713

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Empty Re: Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!

Post by Starfish Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 pm

It is really hard to tell from the pictures. I can see the white spot on the chin but not the other spots. If just one fish had a white spot on the chin then it could be that fish ran into something. I have had fish do that and the spot eventually disappeared. However, if there white spots on the body it usually means ick. If most of the fish are affected, then you will need to treat the whole tank. You can get ick (ich) meds at the local pet shop. Some people have home remedies. I would start with more water changes. Maybe the cycling stressed the fish and this is the result.

I am sure there are other members who have some good advice in dealing with ick.
Good luck.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Empty Re: Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!

Post by Dee Sydney Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:50 pm

I have furan2 is that good for ick?

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am

Does it say that it treats Ick??? if not then you need to visit the pet store for Ick medicine. Another thing you can do is raise the Temperature of the fish tank to about 80-82 F and I am not sure what that is in Celsius.27 28C maybe. This will help Kill he ick from being to hot. If yellow ick this will not work. treat at recommended dosages and do water changes.
If you had no meds heat and huge water changes { 100%}and gravel vacuuming can work on a daily basis. Very hard to do this though unless you use a tote or have 2 tanks.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Fores41 wrote:Does it say that it treats Ick??? if not then you need to visit the pet store for Ick medicine. Another thing you can do is raise the Temperature of the fish tank to about 80-82 F and I am not sure what that is in Celsius.27 28C maybe. This will help Kill he ick from being to hot. If yellow ick this will not work. treat at recommended dosages and do water changes.
If you had no meds heat and huge water changes { 100%}and gravel vacuuming can work on a daily basis. Very hard to do this though unless you use a tote or have 2 tanks.

Thé guy at thé stores Saïd its not ick.

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Curious. If it's possible to get a closer photo/more clear, that would be helpful. My first thought was that it looked like ich to me.

Try googling Ichthyophthirius fish and let us know if this looks right or not.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Dee Sydney wrote:Thé guy at thé stores Saïd its not ick.

Curious to know what the LFS guy says it is. What was the recommendation on how to treat and what to do next?
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Empty Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:34 am

alexmtl wrote:
Dee Sydney wrote:Thé guy at thé stores Saïd its not ick.

Curious to know what the LFS guy says it is. What was the recommendation on how to treat and what to do next?

Thé Guy at the stores said it wasnt ick and gavé me furan 2 To do 2 treatments. But didnt tell be What it was. I Will post pics now . I also brought my fish to the guy at the store they é are full of White dots and covering most of my fish now. I have 6 platies and one angelfish. My tail of my angel fish look like it is being eaten almost by thèse dots.

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:54 am

They also poo White. Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen10

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:56 am

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen15
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen16

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:00 am

Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen20
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen19
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen17
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen18
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  20170714
Anybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  20170715

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:31 pm

Furan-2 is an antibacterial made of two different compounds nitrofurazone and furazolidone. I expect the fish store owner was thinking it might be columnaris or some other bacterial infection. I believe sometimes people use it for fin rot too.

Honestly I can't tell whether there is any ich or not from the photos. It manifests as small white dots (parasites) that are on the fish. They result in sores on the fish, and secondary bacterial infections would be common. With the Furan2, make sure you take any carbon out of your filters while treating. If the small white dots continue to be present after treatment, I would consider reevaluating it being just a bacterial infection.

Just for more background for us, how long has the tank been running? What's the cleaning schedule?
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:27 pm

CAAIndie wrote:Furan-2 is an antibacterial made of two different compounds nitrofurazone and furazolidone. I expect the fish store owner was thinking it might be columnaris or some other bacterial infection.  I believe sometimes people use it for fin rot too.

Honestly I can't tell whether there is any ich or not from the photos. It manifests as small white dots (parasites) that are on the fish. They result in sores on the fish, and secondary bacterial infections would be common. With the Furan2, make sure you take any carbon out of your filters while treating. If the small white dots continue to be present after treatment, I would consider reevaluating it being just a bacterial infection.  

Just for more background for us, how long has the tank been running? What's the cleaning schedule?

i have done one treatment. the guy at the fish store told me to use 2 treatments. i take out my carbon yes!
my fish are really covered with white dots.and only like 2 of the 6six platies and my 1 angel fish is getting eaten alive .although the platies get worse my angel seems to be getting a bit better but it did him damage.and my fish are always hungry nowadays and almost 4 of the platies **** white stringy poop. i had a river minnow in my tank at the beginning though when they were all in a 10 gallon. water is good. cycle just finished being done .i added the decorations from my ten gallon into the new thirty gallon and it seemed to speed up my cycle a bit but my fish thats when they started getting contaminated.when i put them in the new tank. they all flick off plants and rocksAnybody ever see this fish disease?? Pics included. Plz help!  Screen21
IN THIS PICTURE CAN YOU SEE THE WHITE SPECS? AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS SAND BUT NOW THE WHOLE FISH IS COMPLETYELY COVERED WITH THESE SPOTS

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 pm

CAAIndie wrote:Furan-2 is an antibacterial made of two different compounds nitrofurazone and furazolidone. I expect the fish store owner was thinking it might be columnaris or some other bacterial infection.  I believe sometimes people use it for fin rot too.

WHY WOULD THE GUY TELL ME ITS NOT ICH IF IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE ICH? LOLLLL

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 pm

hahahaha

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Dee Sydney wrote:

WHY WOULD THE GUY TELL ME ITS NOT ICH IF IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE ICH? LOLLLL

Many fish store staff are not well versed with diagnosing diseases tbh, some are great and some are not (just like hobbyists), really though, we are all guessing based in experience. If you aren't looking in the tank in person or have extremely clear picture and you aren't a vet/biologist/microbiologist, it's tough to really make a call. That being said, a fish covered in white spots is classically ich.

Also, ich has a life cycle where it becomes easily visible and less visible. It's possible that they only see part of the problem too (ie a bacterial infection).

I'm not saying it is ich 100%, simply that based on the photos you have shared, I would not rule it out. Small white dots on fish are commonly ich. I do see signs of what are (probably) bacterial infection too. But if you don't treat the parasite, it will likely continue to be a problem.

I would reiterate my previous questions, as that might help us narrow things down. Ich is very common if any new fish/plants etc have been added recently (in the last few weeks).

If it is ich, I'd suggest a treatment containing malachite green (sometimes called Victoria green). Beware though, it usually wipes out a tank's cycle  (as do many antibacterial medications).
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:24 am

Im going tp treat with furan2 (2treatments) and then if ther is still signs of bacteria.i Will treat for ich .but the furan seems to .be working but for only thé angelfish

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:26 am

And i clean the tank atleast once per week since ive had it

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Good luck Dee,
I remember your first post back in June and the trouble with the new fish. I am glad that you have divided your fish into separate tanks, with the coldwater minnows in a separate tank, the shrimps in another and the platies in this one.

Most fish come already weakened and many will be bought in an already weakened state. What I see is not just ich and perhaps furan will work. The best is to get your tanks cycled however a bacterial treatment will knock out any beneficial bacteria. Best to keep up the water changes and hope the fish pull through.

Hoping for the best and keep us posted. Thanks for the videos and the shots.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 am

alexmtl wrote:Good luck Dee,
I remember your first post back in June and the trouble with the new fish. I am glad that you have divided your fish into separate tanks, with the coldwater minnows in a separate tank, the shrimps in another and the platies in this one.

Most fish come already weakened and many will be bought in an already weakened state. What I see is not just ich and perhaps furan will work. The best is to get your tanks cycled however a bacterial treatment will knock out any beneficial bacteria. Best to keep up the water changes and hope the fish pull through.

Hoping for the best and keep us posted. Thanks for the videos and the shots.

Can it just be that my platies have ick. And my angel fish another disease or fin rot. My platies dont seem to get cured with thé furan and only thé angelfish with fin rotting. My fish might have been stressed with thé tank change ?

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 am

Also they should of already given birth this month.but they havent.unless thé angelfish eats them

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am

Angel fish are great predators for fish fry. I would say your Angel fish has both a fin rot and Ick so treat for both. This is what I am seeing from your Photo's and if someone else may have a different diagnosis.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:54 am

It was fin rot and ich finally. I added super ick cure and they look better already!!

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Glad to hear things are going better for you Dee.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down