Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Platy staying near the top

5 posters

Go down

Platy staying near the top Empty Platy staying near the top

Post by werwer2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:40 pm

I have a platy that just started staying near the top. Yesterday I had one die. The ph is 7.6 and the ammonia is 0. Any idea what I can do.

werwer2016
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Platy staying near the top Empty Re: Platy staying near the top

Post by GaryE Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Some more info would help. The biggest question is when you got the platys. The answer will say a lot, as platys are one of the species that take a terrible beating from the fishfarm to your home.
Are the flanks and fins clear?
Is the fish gasping?
What is the water hardness like?
Are there other platys?
And since the surface is the last refuge of the beaten up, what else is in there?
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by werwer2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Got the fish about three weeks ago.
Not sure what the flanks are but they all look okay and they don't seem to be gasping.
I have no way of telling what the water hardness is.
I have 5 more platies.
Just 5 platies.

werwer2016
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:15 am

I have to be vague, not seeing them. But platys are problem fish according to old friends in the pet trade. either they all survive or they develop problems like you see several weeks after arrival. Usually it's one to two weeks in.
What is it? It's said to be viral, but I know of no one who has really determined that.
Because the stores insist on the lowest prices, the farmed fish are raised in extreme crowding. Crowding always favours disease, and there have been documented gourami-specific viruses, and rumours of past angelfish and guppy epidemics. Platys have also been hit, although it seems to be easing up.
Soo, don't blame yourself as long as you have been doing 25% water changes every week. 3 weeks is still the quarantine zone, and with farmed fish, losses are to be expected, sadly.
Don't overfeed, and if you can, look online to see what your municipal water supply is. Platys evolved over limestone in Mexico/Belize, and they need minerals in their water for their bodies to function. Most areas in Canada have ideal platy water, but there are a few where it is too soft. I live in one of them...
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by werwer2016 Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks for the information.

werwer2016
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:21 am

werwer2016 wrote:I have a platy that just started staying near the top. Yesterday I had one die. The ph is 7.6 and the ammonia is 0. Any idea what I can do.

I presume that this is in your newly setup 20g. Sometimes the fish that you buy from the aquarium stores are weak to begin with. They have taken many trips before getting to your tank, from fish farm to wholesaler to airline to store and more. It is not surprising that newly bought fish do not survive long after yet again another change to their environment. Even the veteran breeders on this forum experience distressed fish in new shipments.

GaryE's advice is pretty much all you can do unless you know the cause. Water changes are always a good idea. Your water supply records can be found online (google Fort Erie water quality). It appears that you have a free chlorine system, rather than chloramine (assumption due to the use of a chlorine booster station) and you should try to dechlorinate either using a chemical treatment or by keeping water in a bucket for at least 48 hours before you add it to your aquarium.

alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:33 am

Fort Erie is in an area with fine water for platys. I'd assume you're okay. Sorry, if I had read your location (as I should have) I could have been more helpful.

I think you are in a wait and see situation - keep it clean and see how you do.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by werwer2016 Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:55 pm

From six platies now down to four. They seem to stay on the bottom most of the time and not move. Have to tap on the glass to see if they are still alive.

werwer2016
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:00 pm

werwer2016 wrote:From six platies now down to four. They seem to stay on the bottom most of the time and not move. Have to tap on the glass to see if they are still alive.

I know you have mentioned this in another thread, but could you please list the specifications in your tank? Size, occupants, how long it has been running, any other water specs you might have (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness, etc), current filtration (type of filter, and the type of media in it). Water temp. etc

CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:19 pm

https://www.canadaquaria.ca/t3131-20-gallon-tank-setup#37198

Sorry to hear that you are now down to four. I trust that you are diligently performing water changes. Fish that are not active are not a good sign.
Are your fish eating ?
Is there food accumulating at the bottom ?

From the above advice and form other thread, what have you done or tried, and has it worked ? It is hard to advise over the internet if you do not give feedback on what you have done to remedy.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Sydney Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:11 pm

I have 6 platies and this happened To me alot. I noticed that they do this when they are sick. Bloated. Pregnant.stressed. if thay are with bigger fish.etc..etc..
I would look closely at there behavior when the waters not good or they have disease they tend to scratch on objects in the aquarium in a fast movement .i honestly think that they are sensitive fish but i find them good to cycle aquariums with.i set up my2 10 gallons and a 30 gallon with 2-3casualties

Dee Sydney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down