Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.


Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:10 pm

My plant profile video on Bolbitis Heudelotii


_________________
Rare Livebearer and Planted Tank Hobbyist  Cool
avatar
guppyguy
Moderator

Posts : 2165
Join date : 2014-01-24
Location : Wheatley, ON

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by alexmtl on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Another great video article ! Enjoyed them all, and I have been a subscriber to your YouTube channel for a while now.
avatar
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Posts : 3078
Join date : 2013-09-07
Location : Montreal Quebec

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 pm

@alexmtl wrote:Another great video article ! Enjoyed them all, and I have been a subscriber to your YouTube channel for a while now.

Thank you Alex, this is going to be a huge series. I have tons of plants profiles I am going to do in video format. And they will all also get posted here. Have you ever commented directly on my video's on YouTube. I am just wondering if I have talked or responded to you on there, and did not know who you were.

_________________
Rare Livebearer and Planted Tank Hobbyist  Cool
avatar
guppyguy
Moderator

Posts : 2165
Join date : 2014-01-24
Location : Wheatley, ON

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by Fores41 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 pm

Thank you for sharing Guppyguy I may have to try it out in one of my tanks.
avatar
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Posts : 732
Join date : 2013-09-17
Location : Williams Lake,BC

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by GaryE on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 pm

That was an excellent video clip on my favourite aquarium plant. I wish I had had access to info like that when I first started with it.

Please don't imagine me in a rocking chair with a dog at my feet when I tell this story. I got one rhizome about 3 inches long in 1992, when I first joined the local club and saw the plant in the auction. That rhizome was a 30 inch piece within a few years. I now have its descendants/extendants(?) in most of my tanks.

I got some more from Cameroon in 2004. It was really hard to acclimate, but I saved some (maybe 3 pieces out of 20). Wild, it looks a lot different from cultivated forms. It has very broad light green leaves. Within a year, it looked like my other Bolbitis.

It grew like mad when I was treating for cyanobacter with potassium nitrate ferts.
If you put it off the edge of a light source with a powerhead behind it, it will extend towards the light quickly and hit 22-23 inches quickly. It grows more slowly under a direct light. It likes to be ambitious.
When it stretches to a light, it keeps the leaves down low. It doesn't get all stalky like a lot of root plants.

It drops off plantlets without the rhizome being cut. Not many, not often, but every once in a while, it seems to get very busy.

And of great interest to me, you can buy a piece and still have it going 20+ years later. That is remarkable.

Watch the video - you want this plant!
avatar
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Posts : 2471
Join date : 2013-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by alexmtl on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:16 pm

@guppyguy wrote:Have you ever commented directly on my video's on YouTube. I am just wondering if I have talked or responded to you on there, and did not know who you were.

No I just lurk and creep around.
avatar
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Posts : 3078
Join date : 2013-09-07
Location : Montreal Quebec

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 pm

@Fores41 wrote:Thank you for sharing Guppyguy I may have to try it out in one of my tanks.

Your welcome. It has few needs and is pretty easy plant and quite unique in its looks too.

_________________
Rare Livebearer and Planted Tank Hobbyist  Cool
avatar
guppyguy
Moderator

Posts : 2165
Join date : 2014-01-24
Location : Wheatley, ON

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:31 pm

@GaryE wrote:That was an excellent video clip on my favourite aquarium plant. I wish I had had access to info like that when I first started with it.

Please don't imagine me in a rocking chair with a dog at my feet when I tell this story. I got one rhizome about 3 inches long in 1992, when I first joined the local club and saw the plant in the auction. That rhizome was a 30 inch piece within a few years. I now have its descendants/extendants(?) in most of my tanks.

I got some more from Cameroon in 2004. It was really hard to acclimate, but I saved some (maybe 3 pieces out of 20). Wild, it looks a lot different from cultivated forms. It has very broad light green leaves. Within a year, it looked like my other Bolbitis.

It grew like mad when I was treating for cyanobacter with potassium nitrate ferts.
If you put it off the edge of a light source with a powerhead behind it, it will extend towards the light quickly and hit 22-23 inches quickly. It grows more slowly under a direct light. It likes to be ambitious.
When it stretches to a light, it keeps the leaves down low. It doesn't get all stalky like a lot of root plants.

It drops off plantlets without the rhizome being cut. Not many, not often, but every once in a while, it seems to get very busy.

And of great interest to me, you can buy a piece and still have it going 20+ years later. That is remarkable.



Watch the video - you want this plant!

Thank you Gary and glad you enjoyed the video. And that is incredible story you just told.. It just shows how tough and long lived this plant is. Don't worry I never imagined you in a rocking chair with a dog at your feet when as I read the story. But I did get a chuckle out of that. I have not had a plant for 20 years yet not even close actually, maybe five years with some of my java ferns. I believe the low light slower growing plants will have a considerably longer life span. This is a great plant I recommend to those who have not tried it.

_________________
Rare Livebearer and Planted Tank Hobbyist  Cool
avatar
guppyguy
Moderator

Posts : 2165
Join date : 2014-01-24
Location : Wheatley, ON

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:32 pm

@alexmtl wrote:
@guppyguy wrote:Have you ever commented directly on my video's on YouTube. I am just wondering if I have talked or responded to you on there, and did not know who you were.

No I just lurk and creep around.

lol ok its all good. At least I know you checking out the videos.

_________________
Rare Livebearer and Planted Tank Hobbyist  Cool
avatar
guppyguy
Moderator

Posts : 2165
Join date : 2014-01-24
Location : Wheatley, ON

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by GaryE on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:10 am

These video profiles are excellent.
avatar
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Posts : 2471
Join date : 2013-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern)

Post by guppyguy on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:16 am

@GaryE wrote:These video profiles are excellent.

Thank you Gary and much more to come.

_________________
Rare Livebearer and Planted Tank Hobbyist  Cool
avatar
guppyguy
Moderator

Posts : 2165
Join date : 2014-01-24
Location : Wheatley, ON

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum