Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I couldn't resist

+3
Biulu
hello_rockview12
FishOnTheRock
7 posters

Go down

I couldn't resist Empty I couldn't resist

Post by FishOnTheRock Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 am

On a routine scan through kijiji I just came across a Fluval Ebi tank for a steal. I've had my eye on one of these for a while. And so, I couldn't resist.

I knew I wouldn't be able to go long with out a freshwater nano tank around. It will be planted but I've got to scope out what the possibilities are before making all my decisions.

Does any one have one of these tanks?
If yes, what is the light like? What are the filters like?

FishOnTheRock
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

I couldn't resist Empty Re: I couldn't resist

Post by hello_rockview12 Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:24 am

Those tanks are really sleek looking! They look so good when they're all planted. Looking forward to some pics. Do they use LED's?
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:37 am

Congratulations on the buy! I read it comes with a full spectrum 13 W fluorescent lamp. That on 6 - 7 gallons is more than enough to grow some nice plants.
Did it come with the substrate of this tank? Are you planning on putting in a nutrient rich substrate, or will you do ferts dosing?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by FishOnTheRock Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:41 pm

I get the tank on Thursday so I don't know if it still has its substrate. I've used fluval substrates before and I'm not crazy about them. It's difficult to get plants to root because the low density substrates don't hold them down. I also read that the shrimp substrate is designed to lower ph and I don't like that. I'm investigating different options but I might pick up some seachem fluorite as I've had lots of success with it before.

The light was definitely one of the selling points!

My favourite LFS is supposed to be getting a plant order from Singapore this week. The last plant they got from there were beautiful. As I have a bunch of credit from bringing in clippings I hope to pick up some nice ones on Friday. I also need some wood but that's difficult to come by here as I don't like using softwoods and that's mostly what can be collected.

Im up in the air on the fauna. Lots of ideas but very few that are often available here. I think I'll keep it as a plant only tank until I decide what I really want.

FishOnTheRock
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Congratulations on the new tank,

Shrimp might be cool, but then you would be competing with me for the "Best Shrimp in the World" category.

It's to small for anything really cool, oops did I just say that. Very Happy 

Your tanks tend to be different and unique so I'm sure you will come up with something interesting. We look forward to the pictures.

Steve

Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:28 pm

what about a crayfish? Or an aquatic frog?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Ursus sapien Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Recommend against any sort of jumper or surface breather.
Ursus sapien
Ursus sapien
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://stormiidae.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:20 pm

That is really exciting! I actually love our 5.5 planted tank as it is more manageable to care for than the bigger tanks, and I have to say, it looks the best as far as plants are concerned. Your new tank, however, will look more fantastic than our tiny little boxy thing as the the design of yours is a bit more appealing! Post some pics once up and running Smile
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by the clean guy Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Congrats on the new tank and I'll keep my eyes open for a piece of driftwood for you next time I go to big al's
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by FishOnTheRock Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:03 am

Biulu wrote: Are you planning on putting in a nutrient rich substrate, or will you do ferts dosing?
I'll definitely have a nutrient rich substrate as I'm a fan of alot of the smaller heavy root feeding plants (e.g. chain swords, the small crypt varieties). However, I also have dry ferts around as well as liquid iron and calcium. I tend to just hold off on them and use them if I notice any signs of nutrient deficiency in my plants. This saves money and time. I've tried the high tech testing continually to keep everything in perfect levels technique but found that my more lesser-fair technique works just as well.

Sbenson11 wrote:

It's to small for anything really cool, oops did I just say that. Very Happy 

Oh really....but I thought I could put a goldfish in it :p

Unless I can get my hands on something that isn't cherry shrimp (which are infesting my other three tanks) I don't think so. I need some variety! Plus, my iPhone takes crap shrimp pictures. So I won't be any competition for you Steve. Occasionally the LFS has flower shrimp...maybe one of those?

Ursus sapien wrote:Recommend against any sort of jumper or surface breather.
Thanks for the recommendation! I had thought of a couple of clown killies but I don't think those fit under "not jumpers".

FishOnTheRock
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum