Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Carbon to remove medication

3 posters

Go down

Using Carbon to remove medication Empty Using Carbon to remove medication

Post by vince0 Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:42 am

Hello,

I had to use a parasite removal agent in one of my tanks, and now I'm curious about using activated carbon. I must admit, in my many years of fish keeping, I have foregone using meds, or carbon preferring a natural approach of using water changes. As this didn't work with one of my prised Geophagus, I decided to use the advise of a couple importers and dose metronidazole. I was quite surprised to see some fish that looked perfectly healthy have some clearish feces one I started dosing, and now feel confidant I am on the right path.

My question has to deal with once im done all this, do I have to put the carbon in the filter or can I just put the bag in the tank so that it floats around.

Looking to hear what works for people.
vince0
vince0
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Using Carbon to remove medication Empty Re: Using Carbon to remove medication

Post by CAAIndie Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:01 pm

I expect that adding it to the filter would be the fastest and most effective way of removing the medication, or at least setting the carbon near the output from your filters. I'm sure that just sitting a bag of it in the tank would absorb some, but I'm really not sure about the time frame for that.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Using Carbon to remove medication Empty Re: Using Carbon to remove medication

Post by GaryE Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:00 am

It has to go in the filter.
I've never used carbon to remove antibiotics - just for dyes. I always approached antibiotics (rarely used, like you) with massive water changes after. Then again, I passed on using carbon with no reason I can think of.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down