Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Algae question

4 posters

Go down

Algae question Empty Algae question

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:42 am

On a new-ish tank, how long does it take for algae to start forming on the glass? We are thinking about getting another pleco for that tank. The original plan was to put the now passed on pleco in that same tank. I know it's not necessary for it to have algae on the glass, but am just curious about it.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Algae question Empty Re: Algae question

Post by nyleveiam Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:16 pm

First I find the brown spotted algae, Diatoms, I believe, and that is usually in the first three to four months. That will vanish on its own, to be replaced by regular green algae, IF it's going to grow in that tank. It doesn't always grow in all of my tanks.
It has taken since early June to grow any at all in my Endler tank, figures since they like algae! And, it hardly grows at all in there even now.
One of my 5.5 gallon Betta tanks is constantly green on the glass and decorations and it HAS a pleco, too. He's very fat, but still can't keep ahead of it! Go figure!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Just remember, while Ancistrus are algae eaters, the common pleco isn't. It prefers detritus and plants. It isn't very interested in algae as it ages, and only seems to go for it when it's young and always starving.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Well, it is a sailfin bristlenose, if that makes a difference, but it IS young. I just added another to that tank today when I discovered my new angels destroying its tail and dorsal fins. They are both happily cleaning up the back glass right now. The betta is a bit miffed though!
Both are supposed to stay really small, but I agree, they are young enough still to think they are starving to death!!! I'll take it while it works! I really LOVE watching them. The BN has grown a ton in just three weeks. I have one at work that is about five inches which I do not consider really small!!! But, smaller than a common, I guess.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:31 am

On my tank, it took one year to develop algae on the front glass.
But I got a load of plants and shrimp and snails. So that takes care of most of it usually.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:48 pm

GaryE, my plecos still attach themselves to the glass of my 130G tank.
My female was about 20yrs old while the male, if I did it right, is around 10.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down