Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri)

3 posters

Go down

Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri) Empty Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri)

Post by guppyguy Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Java moss has its origin in Asia and India. It has become a very popular plant due to its hardiness and quality as a hiding place for fry. It does not hurt that it is decorative, fast growing and very versatile either. Java moss does not need to be planted and can be attached to almost any surface or you can keep it free floating. Java moss can be very decorative if attached to roots or stones.
 When you first introduce it to your aquarium attach the portions of moss to their growing place. This can be done by using a piece of fishing line, thread or a rubber band. The java moss will then attach itself to the surface and after a while they are able to keep themselves attached and the rubber band/fishing line can be removed. The moss grows fast and creates good hiding places for fry.
You can propagate your moss by cutting it and attaching the new parts on other places. It often propagate fast in an aquarium when pieces of the moss that have loosen attach themselves in other places in the aquarium and starts to grow.
Java moss accepts most water conditions as long as the water is clean but prefers a pH of 5.8-8.0 and a temperature of 18-30 degrees Celsius. You should make sure that you don’t get algae growing on your java moss as to much algae could kill it. Also tank needs to be very clean as particles that get stuck in the moss can damage it also. Java moss prefers low to medium light.
On of the main usages of java moss is to protect fry and eggs when breeding. It is excellent for spawning fish. The advantages of java moss is that egg eating fishes can’t get to those eggs that falls into the java moss which is giving the eggs a chance to develop. Another advantage is that infusoria life in the moss serves as food for the fry the first few days. In the end it is perfect for permanent breeding aquariums.

Some quick tips: if it is attached to rock or driftwood tap a gravel vac on top of it suck out debris stuck in to keep it clean and healthy. But don't drag the vac across it as you can damage the plant. If it is free floating remove it from the tank from time to time and gently rinse it out in a bucket of clean tank water to rid of debris. Your plant will thank you for the cleaning. A very tough and enjoyable moss to have. Wink

Search for other Low Light Plants species using the hash tag link #LowLightPlants
Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri) Dscf9810

Last edited by guppyguy on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri) Empty Re: Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri)

Post by alexmtl Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:30 pm

These are my main plant. I use them in virtually every tank. In tanks without aeration and filtering I use this plant as the go-to natural aerator. For gravid female livebearers this is the best tool for save fry; even better than breeder boxes. Every hobbyist should have this plant floating around for general purpose use !
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:04 pm

alexmtl wrote:These are my main plant. I use them in virtually every tank. In tanks without aeration and filtering I use this plant as the go-to natural aerator. For gravid female livebearers this is the best tool for save fry; even better than breeder boxes. Every hobbyist should have this plant floating around for general purpose use !

I 100% agree. I always have java moss around.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Java moss is superb.
In fact. I'll message you so I can get more..

l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Plant profile video on Java and Christmas Moss.

guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down