Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do pythons work?

+13
Sbenson11
mikebike
alexmtl
CAAIndie
the clean guy
Jay0173
hello_rockview12
GaryE
Suprd71
caoder
dahling
Shell
Starfish
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

how do pythons work? - Page 2 Empty how do pythons work?

Post by Starfish Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. I have heard about pythons used for water changes. But how exactly do they work. My understanding is that it gets hooked up to a tap and the water needs to be turned on to make the syphon work. Does the water stay on for the entire time you vacuum the tank? If so, that is a great waste of water which is why I have not looked any further into getting one. They are on sale now and I am getting tired of lugging buckets of water around. Is this a good investment?
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

how do pythons work? - Page 2 Empty Re: how do pythons work?

Post by caoder Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I have the aqueon and iy works fine. I have the longer hosed version. Only thing is flow is a bit slow.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dahling Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 am

caoder wrote:I have the aqueon and iy works fine. I have the longer hosed version. Only thing is flow is a bit slow.
That's the drawback of a longer hose...slower flow. Is the tank and the sink on the same floor?
dahling
dahling
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by dahling Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:46 am

For those tanks where they are bare bottomed or you do not need to gravel vac, I vouch for this tool. I've been using it for almost 10 years now. It was a lifesaver when I was doing 50% daily WC for my discus tanks, now I use it for my 6 foot tanks in the basement. It's great for one tank that just sits a foot of the ground so I don't have to rely on gravity to do the siphoning. It would work well with any tank higher than 12".

You could use it with your existing python hoses, but it is much more effective with a 3/4" inside diameter hose. Safety Siphon hose for the win!:

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

You could probably build one yourself, I think John (Jehmco) will even give you the plans. I bought the one that comes with the 500+gph pump attached.
dahling
dahling
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm

yes it is. I don't complain about the flow though. I only change water, no gravel vacing for me.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:46 am

I tried to use my new siphon yesterday. The tap on the laundry tub where I want to use it is corroded or bent or something because I cannot get the attachment on the tap. Grrrr! I am going to stop by the hardware store this morning to see if they have any suggestions.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Well likes like the only solution is a whole new faucet system for the laundry tub. Not sure if hubby will be happy with that on his to-do list. Shocked (it is old and kind of leaky anyway) This siphon is turning out to be more expensive and trouble than planned.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by the clean guy Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 pm

That sucks
Don't you hate it when things go that way Mad 
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Actually, it really does suck now. Literally. I knew there was a reason I married a handy-type man. I love you Hubby was able to file down the corroded threads so that the siphon attachment would fit. I was able to use it to clean out my 75g. That is so much easier on the back than lugging those buckets around. I was able to turn off the tap as soon and the siphon started working. The suction was not as strong, but enough to do the job. I did not use it to fill the tanks, as I still feel more comfortable letting my water age for a day or so. But I was able to use the hose to fill the water jugs so that I don't have to lift them in and out of the sink. Yay!
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alexmtl Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Looks like it is working out. The difference between letting the water age and going straight into the aquarium is chloramine. I add water straight to the tanks because the sanitizer is chlorine. Chloramine is another matter and needs the conditioner. Just a thought.
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by the clean guy Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:58 pm

That's great I am glad to hear NO MORE BUCKETS for you Smile    
See men have there uses ( Given time )
Personally I didn't last very long on the bucket brigade glad to hear that you got the Python working cheers
the clean guy
the clean guy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:20 pm

I went to a $ store and bought a couple of large plastic spring loaded clamps
I put the clamp over the edge of the glass at the top of the tank and pass the python tube through the opening in the clamp jaws.
I also keep a piec of twist tie khandy and fasten the plastic pile/hose to the clamp.

now I don't have to worry about it falling out.
I have a shut off in line at both ends of the tube/hose that can be used to keep the hose full of water for easy transfer/drain

Good luck
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

mikebike wrote:I went to a $ store and bought a couple of large plastic spring loaded clamps
I put the clamp over the edge of the glass at the top of the tank and pass the python tube through the opening in the clamp jaws.
I also keep a piec of twist tie khandy and fasten the plastic pile/hose to the clamp.

now I don't have to worry about it falling out.
I have a shut off in line at both ends of the tube/hose that can be used to keep the hose full of water for easy transfer/drain

Good luck
MikeBike "king of the dodad"

Nice tip Mike, might just use that one.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes, thanks Mike for the helpful tip about the clamps. My hose also has shut off valve at both ends but the one at the siphon end does not seem to seal completely when closed and I lose water when I pull it out of the tank to move to the other side of the annoying bar in the middle of my canopy. Mad Then I have to go down and turn the tap back on to restart the suction.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:59 pm

I use a python at home and since then, I have never aged my water, no fish loss, nothing.
I make sure I add the water conditioner as soon as the flow of the water kicks in tho Smile
The major important thing is to match the temperature.

What I do for mine is just use it as a normal suction tube, and drain it to the bathtub.
Then I plug it in my water fosset to fill the tank back.

You don't really have to do it that way if your tank is higher than your water fosset, you can just start the flow, then as soon as the water flows, you can stop the water, it'll just continue by gravity.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 pm

I did all six of my tanks in a bit less than an hour on Saturday with my python and didn't have to wipe up a single drop of water when I was done!!  
I have great well water so don't even have to worry about conditioning...just temperature match and away I go.
The plus is that it also keeps my cats totally entertained chasing the water thru the fifty feet of hose.  
I still have to keep the water faucet running to keep the siphon but as soon as it warms up I will be siphoning out the kitchen door as it will be low enough to keep it running.  I LOVE my Python ( hear that, Krista? )
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Hahaha! nyleveiam, my cats also go bonkers when I change my water, trying to catch the bubbles and such!
l_l_l
l_l_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:51 pm

l_l_l wrote:Hahaha! nyleveiam, my cats also go bonkers when I change my water, trying to catch the bubbles and such!

My pup does the same too!
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Orlon11 Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Resurrecting a really old topic, I know...but how do you go about matching the temperature? Run it in a bucket and see if it comes out right? It seems like that would waste a lot of water :/
Orlon11
Orlon11
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Run it at the tap once the temp is right, switch to pushing the water through the hose.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:02 am

Water is really conservative temp wise. I run it at the tap and when it feels right on my fingers, I snap on the python (I actually have a knock off, non brand name version) and let her rip. If I am adding 25%, it doesn't matter a lot. I stick a finger into the flow to check once or twice. In a worst case scenario, healthy fish should be entirely unbothered by a 3 degree celsius change.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 am

It's nice to know that healthy fish don't really mind the temp change that much.
I heard that if you can't seem to match the temperature, it is best for your water to be on the cooler side than the hotter side.
l_l_l
l_l_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I use to be super diligent about water temp - but I have learned that a few degrees difference doesn't hurt when everyone is happy and healthy - and our water is generally a tad bit cooler when we add it (maybe 2-3 degrees difference - not much!). Now, we cannot use our python to put water directly into the tank as their water bypasses the softener, and comes directly from the well....which is freezing cold! So, we fill up two rubbermaid garbage bins using the python and then let it sit for about 24 hours, with a heater, before adding into the tanks. Even though I am not as paranoid about temp as I was before, we always stick a thermometer in the bin before adding the water to the tanks - just to make sure the difference is not too much.  Smile 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:38 pm

I completely understand your comment re carrying buckets around
I although I have a python continue to use buckets as I have no idea how to use it
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:04 pm

I'd like to know how you treat the water if it is going from the tap through the python and directly to the tank.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Most water conditioners such as Prime and aqueon advise to treat the tank for the entire tank volume prior to refilling with the python. It is extremely safe to overdose.
I have well water but I still use Prime for metals, etc., and I treat the whole tank volume.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2