Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seachem Matrix & Fluval C4

5 posters

Go down

Seachem Matrix & Fluval C4 Empty Seachem Matrix & Fluval C4

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:33 pm

I wanted to enhance this filter, so I bought some Matrix with a bag & placed it in the red grilled container that originally housed the carbon. Will this be a good addition to this filter?
Not sure how the water flows through this system though.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Seachem Matrix & Fluval C4 Empty Re: Seachem Matrix & Fluval C4

Post by CAAIndie Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm not familiar with seachems matrix? Is it biological media?
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:28 am

Exactly what i did with my C4 filter. Tossed the carbon and add more real media.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:08 am

Matrix is a premium bio media, I have plenty in my canisters. C4 is a very good all purpose filter with many options on how to run. You did the right thing Sandman, considering your large fish and bioload. Carbon should not be an everyday component of any filter, it will emit toxins back into tye tank after as little as 3 weeks.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:18 pm

The C4 is actually one of 3 filters on the 125G tank that is home to the koi & comet goldfish, not the shark tank.
I've love to have a layer of this in the shark tank's filter. But that is a 10 gallon tub & I don't think they make those mesh bags big enough for me to do that.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by coolestmysterysnail Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:59 pm

I agree with the others. Matrix is one of the better (top 5) types of bio media. It is pumice stone, which is a kind of volcanic rock. It is extremely porous and will even grow bacteria that will help (very little but still) in reducing nitrate levels. This will take 6 months. If ever your in the states they sell hortocultural grade pumice that is the exact same thing as matrix for much cheaper. Odly enough its jard to find in canada but some bonsai places cary it.
I bought a 4L pail of matrix off amazon. I have it in every filter including my SW tank. Good choice on media

coolestmysterysnail
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:14 pm

I have a c4! love the filter. Stuffed with extra sponge and bio media!
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 am

That same tank has an Aquaclear 500 stuffed with Bio Max. I might have to buy another bottle of this stuff for my XP 3 as it has room for more.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:10 am

How would I go about adding Matrix to my 10 gallon tub filter?

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:03 pm

If you have room, somewhere after your mechanical portion. A large media bag(s?). As long as media stays submerged and is in the water flow circuit. As for your xp3, for sure take advantage of all available space. I run my xp's with the 2 black sponges in the bottom tray, and ceramics. Middle baskets as much ceramics as will fit. Top tray almost full of ceramics, with a floss pad on top.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:20 am

Suprd71, the way the 10g filter works is like this;
water is fed through the bottom of the tub, up through a plastic light grate about half way up the tub. Then through a lot of those plastic pot scrubbers before going through floss & then out the top.All the heavy "dirt" falls to the bottom, thus never clogging anything.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Suprd71 Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:28 am

Gotcha. Seems a bit odd having no real mechanical filtration other than some floss. Your scrubbies are the bio filtration. They do suffice, and are an economical diy sorta thing, but genuine biomedia like matrix will support a vastly greater bacteria colony. I would get as much matrix as possible in and around the scrubbies. Every couple of months or so replace a scrubbie or two with more matrix until you have all matrix as bio media.
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman1969 Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:34 pm

I'd need it in a mesh bag as it'd be easier to remove when it comes time to clean out the bottom of the tub.
Believe it or not, the water tests come out pretty damn good with this current set up.
The holes in the plastic grate are too big and a lot of the matrix will fall through into the crap at the bottom.

Just thought of an idea. I have some replacement window screen which is plastic. I wonder how that would hold up like a bag for the matrix?

Just got another idea. I can use that screen to line the top of the grate, almost like a bowl up the sides of the tub. Then fill it with the scrubbies & matrix & topped off with floss. Would make it very easy & less time consuming to clean.

As for the mechanical part of it, I don't know where to get a sheet of foam that's big enough to cover the top part of the tub. One that would be big enough to cover the lid if I laid the foam on it.

Sandman1969
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down