Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stocking & Compatibility Question!

5 posters

Go down

Stocking & Compatibility Question! Empty Stocking & Compatibility Question!

Post by Pathfinder Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Hey folks!

I need advice for rounding out the stocking of my 20 gallon planted tank. I currently have 10x Zebra Danio (Danio rerio), 3x Emerald Cory (Brochis splendens) and plan to add some Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda var) when I can find some.

What fish will work with that combination in a planted tank? I'm looking for something that will add some flair and variety while still remaining compatible (wont outgrow or fight with/eat tank mates) with my current choices. Your assistance is immensely appreciated!
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Stocking & Compatibility Question! Empty Re: Stocking & Compatibility Question!

Post by guppyguy Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Pathfinder wrote:Hey folks!

I need advice for rounding out the stocking of my 20 gallon planted tank. I currently have 10x Zebra Danio (Danio rerio), 3x Emerald Cory (Brochis splendens) and plan to add some Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda var) when I can find some.

What fish will work with that combination in a planted tank? I'm looking for something that will add some flair and variety while still remaining compatible (wont outgrow or fight with/eat tank mates) with my current choices. Your assistance is immensely appreciated!

Cardinal tertras or rummy nose work well with planted tanks. And bring out some nice colors
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:21 pm

I agree with Guppyguy. I have kept both cardinals, and rummynose. Both are gorgeous fish, but I find the rummynose more active, and fun to watch. They school very nice a tight too.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by sucker4plecos Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm

The zebras and corys will go after small/fry shrimp... the danios may go after adults as well.....
sucker4plecos
sucker4plecos
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm

sucker4plecos wrote:The zebras and corys will go after small/fry shrimp... the danios may go after adults as well.....

It will definitely be a gamble, but I've read that in heavily planted tanks they tend to do just fine. I'm going to try ghost shrimp first to see how well they fare once the tank is established and there are plenty of hiding places. If they do okay, I'll consider ordering some nicer looking shrimp. If all else fails, I will change things up.
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalotus Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:03 pm

I'd say as long as you hold off on adding shrimp till you have a well established aquatic "jungle" you should be able to sustain a population even if some get eaten.
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down