Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trumpet snails and eggs

4 posters

Go down

trumpet snails and eggs Empty trumpet snails and eggs

Post by Biulu Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:44 pm

I assume that if it comes down to eating eggs, trumpet snails are as bad as other pest snails. I wonder how people go about avoiding eggs from being eaten by trumpets?

I see too many trumpets making it up to the spawning mops and/or the glass to expect any fry to hatch! Especially after a water change the trumpets are all over!

Does it mean I am not feeding enough? How do other people avoid this nuisance?
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

trumpet snails and eggs Empty Re: trumpet snails and eggs

Post by Shell Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Maybe we do overfeed Calle's tank, even when Red was alive and in there with her, we never had a trumpet snail touch Callie's eggs, nor do they now - it is always the ramshorns. I suppose it may have to do with our (extremely) small number of fish (i.e. before two, and now just one), or maybe a stronger instinct among ramshorns to 'go for the eggs'? Callie is still laying eggs constantly, and they unfortunately just sit - but I have not yet seen a trumpet near one of them - curious, indeed! We have almost rid her tank of ramshorns now, and so, there are only mainly trumpets left. She laid a bunch of eggs two days ago, and they are still on the moss ball.

Maybe break up a plec pellet into several pieces, or something similar, and throw it in the tank to keep the trumpets busy?
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by JayB Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:36 pm

I've always overfed my tanks and thus had an excess population of MTS. Always after a water change, I had multitudes of them climbing the glass (so underfeeding is not the issue). I've always had success (regardless of the number of MTS) with Bristlenose Pleco eggs but then they guard them well in a cave.

I'd suggest that if you're trying to get eggs to hatch that you attempt to reduce the number of MTS (either clean them off the glass as they climb or set a trap (container containing food).
JayB
JayB
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm

trap them or get a few assassin snails. Trapping is the best way as even assassins seem to prefer them the least. I don't really have too many of them in my mops when I was spawning my rainbows. The mops were looked through every other day and placed in a hatching tank.
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down