Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)

+4
CAAIndie
Mr. Mom
KristaLynn
guppyguy
8 posters

Go down

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) Empty Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)

Post by guppyguy Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 pm

So I have found I am really liking the banana plant. Seen it many times but only 3 weeks ago bought my first 2 plants. Both arrived with only 1 small leaf each and have grown to 4 to 5 leaves each and some large ones. And the one plant is sending up its first lily leaf to the surface. Will post pics of it after it opens. It shot this stock up very quickly grew about 4 inches yesterday and 6 inches today and is just about at the surface. Beautiful plant over looked by many.

Search for other High Light Plants species using the hash tag link #HighLightPlants
Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) 20140310

Last edited by guppyguy on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) Empty Re: Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)

Post by KristaLynn Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Is it a high needs plant?
KristaLynn
KristaLynn
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 pm

KristaLynn wrote:Is it a high needs plant?

No it don't need much as all. Beginner plant for sure. the more light you give it the faster it grows. Its a hardy plant.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Mom Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Looks good
Been contemplating them for awhile, seeing how yours is doing I might just pick up some next time I come across them.

Mr. Mom
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Looks good
Been contemplating them for awhile, seeing how yours is doing I might just pick up some next time I come across them.

awesome idea. There really nice
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by KristaLynn Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Are these related to tiger lotus?  It seems smiliar.  I do have one of those currently in my plant tank that's finally taking off nicely and sending up those floating leaves.
KristaLynn
KristaLynn
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Wow what a shot. Haha. That's a lot of fish. Beautiful colour under the plant.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:12 pm

KristaLynn wrote:Are these related to tiger lotus?  It seems smiliar.  I do have one of those currently in my plant tank that's finally taking off nicely and sending up those floating leaves.

No there a different species tiger lotus but both lily plants.  Very Happy 
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:13 pm

CanadaAquariaAdmin wrote:Wow what a shot. Haha. That's a lot of fish. Beautiful colour under the plant.

Thank You. I was also surprised and pleased with this picture.  Smile 
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Looks great!...you're doing something right....Nice to see what they can actually turn out to be...I get them when they're very small and don't do a heck of a lot in my tanks...John

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 pm

The PlantGuy wrote:Looks great!...you're doing something right....Nice to see what they can actually turn out to be...I get them when they're very small and don't do a heck of a lot in my tanks...John

Thank you. And just think John I only got these plants from you 3 weeks ago. In high light and c02 this plants grows amazing fast. And a lot bigger than I expected. Some of the base leaves are getting huge and continuing to grow. I have no idea how big these 2 plants will end up getting. But I am more than happy with them.  Cool 
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:13 am

Heres' the group of them just to give an idea of what they look like to start....Some leaves are dark like a red tiger lotus..not sure why that happens..

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) CYMERA_20140224_190711Small_zps24f7b88a

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:46 am

Mine also came with a few dark leaves and those leave never grew much, but all the new leaves were bright green with red specks here and there and got huge.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishguy85 Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I have one growing in my 10 gallon I am using the aqueon Modular Led strips and it seems to be doing fine its a little slow growing new leaves.

Fishguy85
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:12 pm

I don't know much about aquatic plants but I'm going to throw out a guess based on what I do know about plants in general.

I think the red leaves developed under higher light conditions. Some of the tropical plants that we grow with variegated leaves will turn completely or at least partially green under lower light.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 pm

Sbenson11 wrote:I don't know much about aquatic plants but I'm going to throw out a guess based on what I do know about plants in general.

I think the red leaves developed under higher light conditions. Some of the tropical plants that we grow with variegated leaves will turn completely or at least partially green under lower light.

Steve

Dark red or pinkish colored leaves usually do develop under high light conditions, so you are very right there. But I am not sure with the banana plant as i have mine in very high light and the leaves are growing large, but are green only with red specks here and there. More research into this plant need to be done so we can find the reasoning behind the dark leaves.  Smile
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Mom Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

guppyguy wrote:
Sbenson11 wrote:I don't know much about aquatic plants but I'm going to throw out a guess based on what I do know about plants in general.

Steve

Dark red or pinkish colored leaves usually do develop under high light conditions, so you are very right there. But I am not sure with the banana plant as i have mine in very high light and the leaves are growing large, but are green only with red specks here and there. More research into this plant need to be done so we can find the reasoning behind the dark leaves.  Smile

Was just gonna post that I picked up some of these Banana Plants today ... when I read this. Picked up 3 Banana Plants and was thinking which tanks to put them in (4 different light set-ups), so now you've really got me thinking on this "red leaves thing" ... guess I'll put one in the 55G with the T5, another one in the 29G with a 6700k T8, then try to fit the last one in the 30G with the Fluval LED.

Your guy's conversation has got me wondering now.

Mr. Mom
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:
guppyguy wrote:

Steve

Was just gonna post that I picked up some of these Banana Plants today ... when I read this.  Picked up 3 Banana Plants and was thinking which tanks to put them in (4 different light set-ups), so now you've really got me thinking on this "red leaves thing" ... guess I'll put one in the 55G with the T5, another one in the 29G with a 6700k T8, then try to fit the last one in the 30G with the Fluval LED.

Your guy's conversation has got me wondering now.

Let me know the results under each type of lighting. Mine are under two 23 watt CFL bulbs in a 10 gallon tank so very high light. And doing extremely well.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Alright I did my research and here what I found out. The leaves are green above and dull purple below in high light, and light green to yellow both below and above in low light conditions.  Cool 
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by l_l_l Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Man! I NEED This plant.
I've been eyeing it for a while now.
Yonk.
l_l_l
l_l_l

http://dviau.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Mom Tue May 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, as this plants has presented itself some challenges for me. Of the 3 Banana plants I'd gotten, only one seems to be growing.
The one in the 55G with the T5, looks the worst. But this didn't surprise me
The one with the T8 6700k, hasn't grown and hasn't died .... but no leaves. This is the one that puzzles me.
Meanwhile the one in 30G with the Fluval LED 5200k, is growing. It at first lost its leaves but now has 3 leaves, unfortunately there's no room for it in this tank ... pretty cramped between 2 swords.

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) IMG_1084_zps8155b49d

Mr. Mom
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Maybe I'm doing something wrong, as this plants has presented itself some challenges for me. Of the 3 Banana plants I'd gotten, only one seems to be growing.
The one in the 55G with the T5, looks the worst. But this didn't surprise me
The one with the T8 6700k, hasn't grown and hasn't died .... but no leaves. This is the one that puzzles me.
Meanwhile the one in 30G with the Fluval LED 5200k, is growing. It at first lost its leaves but now has 3 leaves, unfortunately there's no room for it in this tank ... pretty cramped between 2 swords.

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) IMG_1084_zps8155b49d

I found to get mine to not only grow but get very large, they needed still water, intense light, and c02. Mine did drop leaves from time to time but they always came back.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Mom Tue May 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks guppyguy ... it all makes sense now.  All my tanks are over filtered ... therefore high current. But my 30G is so heavily planted that this Banana Plant has found a nice calm area between the two Swords.
Thanks for the info.

Mr. Mom
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by guppyguy Tue May 06, 2014 11:05 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Thanks guppyguy ... it all makes sense now.  All my tanks are over filtered ... therefore high current. But my 30G is so heavily planted that this Banana Plant has found a nice calm area between the two Swords.
Thanks for the info.

No problem glad I could help.
guppyguy
guppyguy

Back to top Go down