Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue-green algae solutions

2 posters

Go down

Blue-green algae solutions Empty Blue-green algae solutions

Post by cephalotus Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:18 am

I have been struggling with BGA in my paludarium for a month or two now. I believe I probably have the tendency to overfeed (though my water parameters don't show it as extra nutrients get sucked up by the plants pretty quickly). The palu is lit by one 2' T5HO bulb, plus a bit of indirect sunlight from a nearby window. The BGA has been driving me nuts - even with manual removal, extra water changes, and feeding only every three days, it spreads to new surfaces on a daily basis. I didn't want to black out the tank was I was worried about how that would effect my plants (above and below water).

A friend gave me a bunch of frogbit recently, and the effect has been remarkable! I'd say the frogbit covers about half the surface area of the tank. Just that little bit of light diffusion has virtually wiped out all the below-waterline BGA. My hornwort sort of floats but it was still getting covered in the crap.

I'm still struggling with BGA covering the surfaces of my waterfall and some of the emergent plants. I have been using spot treatments of hydrogen peroxide with moderate success. Mostly I just wanted to share how well having floating plants worked to prevent more growth. Hooray for frogbit!
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Blue-green algae solutions Empty Re: Blue-green algae solutions

Post by Ursus sapien Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 am

It is a great nutrient sink! Sadly, my snails and bristlesnoses destroy frogbit - it just does a fast disappearing act.

Just curious... are you sure it's bga? I get a similar looking but mostly odor-free growth on the outflow lip ofsome of my filters that my shrimp and corydoras eat like candy, whereas the only thing I know of that eats BGA are scuds.
Ursus sapien
Ursus sapien
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://stormiidae.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Blue-green algae solutions Empty Re: Blue-green algae solutions

Post by cephalotus Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm

hmmm... it does grow particularly well on the outflow of the filters like you described, as well as on my slate waterfall. it doesn't particularly stink though; it sort of has an "earthy" smell...? The shrimp and cories are not particularly interested in it.

What do you do to combat the sum that grows on your outflow? Do you find it growing anywhere else, like on emergent plants?
cephalotus
cephalotus
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down