Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power just went out

+2
Biulu
Shell
6 posters

Go down

Power just went out Empty Power just went out

Post by Shell Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Our power has been out for about 20 minutes now. We have a backup battery system on the 55 gallon, but it is not working! Go figure. We are going to get some sort of backup system going for all of the tanks, but obviously we are procrastinating, this has made me realize we have to do it sooner. I am particularly worried about the 220 gallon tank.

Please tell me if I have any of these steps wrong. I assume that I will leave the tanks alone for about an hour. If the power does not come back on by then, I will start to scoop up water from the tanks and pour it back in a few times every 30 or 40 minutes, using a cup. It is not overly cold, so I don't think that temperature will be a major issue, but I'm willing to wrap each tank if so. After an hour or two, I will put some of the filter media right into the tanks. Or, perhaps I should do this sooner? This sucks. I wish I was more prepared.

Edit: hubby is heading into the city to buy a generator...hopefully their power is on. Big purchase, I know, but we agreed to take all of these little lives into our hands. He won't be back for at least an hour and a half or two...feeling like this is just too long. stupid power...come back on pease!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Power just went out Empty Re: Power just went out

Post by Biulu Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. I have had power outages that lasted longer without any negative effects on the fish. The bacteria in your filter can also survive easily a few hours without 'fresh food'.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Biulu. I used to like power outages. It was a time to play games by candlelight, kind of fun. But, now with the fish, it is a whole different story. It is raining pretty hard here, and very windy. I imagine it will be difficult to set up the generator.
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:11 pm

I've gone 7 or 8 hours with no problem. I don't even worry.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Thank you Gary, that is a relief to hear. We generally don't have long power outages. This one, however, feels like forever, even though it has only been close to two hours now. Hubby just got home with the generator. Wish us luck with setting it up properly! It is going to be a task for sure, with all of the rain and wind here!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Maybe it's just me but the frequency of power outages seems to be increasing the past few years. Fortunately I don't have to worry about this a work as we have a fully automatic backup power system, got to keep those plants warm Smile

However hear at home I have a few ideas that I plan to implement for when I get my reef tank going. That could be a disaster in the making with an extended power outage.

One thing I have looked at several times but never bought is a battery operated air pump, they automatic switch to battery power if the electricity goes out. Says they get 150 hours out of 4 D cells

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Plax-Air-Pod-Automatic-Battery-BACK-UP-Air-Pump-APB1-/380518053089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5898a4b4e1

Hopefully Shell your power will come on soon, that wind is headed for us tomorrow:(

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:30 pm

hope the power comes on very soon...have u checked re an estimate time?
power outages had already started in the community where I work this afternoon which is approx 40 min away from our home
we still have our power but with every fierce wind I hear I cringe at the thought of it going...and yes it is teaming out there
this is a bad storm!!!!!
our greyhounds actually just went out for a quick trot in this...they were fast going out and coming back in they refused to go out after supper but must have realized they had no choice
reassuring to see these posts re others experience of power outages and fish
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Generator is set up and working perfectly. All seven tanks are running smoothly. Heaters, filters, etc. Best money spent ever. Yay hubby! Love him for doing this so quickly!

Such a relief...

Steve, we are also looking into a battery operated air pump. I hope to have them, at least for the big tanks. No estimate amount of time has been given to us with regard to the power outage, at least not yet.
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 pm

yeah!!!!!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:55 am

Power was out for about 5 hours, so not too bad. Now that we have the generator, we are ready for the next one Very Happy 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebike Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:02 am

A couple of years back I bought the Canadian Tire back up power supply meant for cabins to run a refrigerator for a few hours.

It is a large unit 2 ft long 12" wide and 14" tall.
I have it for backup on my air pump that runs 16 of my tanks for up to 24 hours.

I have several smaller UPS's (Uniteruptable Power Supply) the type used to power up computers when the power fails hooked up to various laptops to keep filters running.
mikebike
mikebike
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

http://www.mwn.ca

Back to top Go down