Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ?

+3
GaryE
Sbenson11
alexmtl
7 posters

Go down

What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ? Empty What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ?

Post by alexmtl Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:16 am

What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ?

I hope that there are some manufacturers or suppliers who are viewing this as I would love to be able to see some new products be made to hobbyists. Perhaps some of us would like to see European or Asian products made available here in Canada ? What new tanks, lighting, hardware would you like to see on the market ? Maybe you have thought about a new idea ?

For myself I would like to see a fail safe heater. While we can reduce harm from a heater failure by sizing according the tank (ie a 50 W in 10 gallon) to avoid or reduce temperature extremes when the mechanism fails, and we can use a controller to provide the secondary backup, why not incorporate a failsafe mechanism into the heater itself. I could see a blow out fuse or a temperature diode for this.

Most lighting canopies are now converting to LED. I would love to see the regular incandescent canopies remain on the market. I have not used the incandescent bulb for several years now, but I use the spiral CFLs. My choice is driven by low cost.

I miss my Vortex Diatom filter. I am thinking of getting another one as this is the only product that uses diatomaceous filter sand (much look a pool filter). I would use the Vortex each week to polish the tank water or during a clean-out as they were never meant to be used 24/7. I hope that a new manufacturer could improve the design and some of the quirks.

What would you like to see made available ?
alexmtl
alexmtl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ? Empty Re: What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ?

Post by Sbenson11 Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:02 am

Hmmmm,

off the top of my head...

Differently a +1 for the Vortex Diatom Filter. When I used to keep a bunch of Goldfish tanks in my house it was a great piece of kit and well worth the crankiness of the antique.

I love my Aquaclear filters, but if there was something just as reliable and 100% self starting I would sign up right away.

How about a airstone that sinks. I use a stainless steel weight on the end of mine, but if they would sink it would be helpful.

Just a couple of things that come to mind.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ? Empty Re: What would you like to see Aquarium Manufacturers make available to the hobby ?

Post by GaryE Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I think lines of products that were built to past standards would interest me. I'd pay more. I mean heaters that last a couple of years (they used to last 10), filter works with strong impeller shafts - stuff not designed to become instant landfill would be nice.
I know, you may call me a dreamer... but a green line of products built to last - I'd like that.
Plus I would love to see the return of freeze dried black mosquito larvae. I used to buy it all the time, and it was great stuff.
I must be getting old. I'm not very innovative here!
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:16 am

I'd like tanks with the metal frame back again. They had their problems but that metal never snapped like the plastic ones of today do. I also agree with Gary on the heaters...you used to buy one heater and it lasted forever.
Gosh, Steve and Gary and I are aging ourselves here. Back to the Past, not the future!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:31 am

I like the idea of a Diatom Filter only one that can be used 24/7 and also I agree with safety fuses that can be replaced on heaters.
I am sure there could be improvements made as well with smaller tanks for Betta's and other small fish.
I will try to think of more later to add.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie1 Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 pm

It would be great if there was an affordable hobby grade PAR meter.
charlie1
charlie1
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 am

I recently saw in China (yes!) a very nice and easy to use tank divider that you can place and take out. You can also cut it to size and thus fits every tank.

It is great when e.g. breeding bettas where you want the pair to see each other but not yet be in contact or after spawning so you can keep the female away from the fry but in the same tank.

I would love to see that here. I should have a picture of it somewhere....
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down