Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning sand with a *Python*

3 posters

Go down

Cleaning sand with a *Python*  Empty Cleaning sand with a *Python*

Post by Earhtmother Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:12 am

So I have always had *gravel* of some shape or size until the tank I am about to set up. It is coming with argonite (?) which I believe is a sand of some kind. Can I clean this with my *Python* or am I better just getting rid of it & using gravel. I am assuming I would need to keep a hand on the flow valve and be closing it often so as not to suck up all the sand with the dirt since I know how fast the smaller gravel can fill the cleaning tube

Earhtmother
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down

Cleaning sand with a *Python*  Empty Re: Cleaning sand with a *Python*

Post by Suprd71 Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:01 am

You can clean the sand with the Python. Just skim the top. I would ask what kind of fish? Aragonite is generally used to bring PH up to around 8 for African rift lake cichlids. The issue I had with Aragonite was it being a fine grain sand, and constantly clogging filters. If you need to make your water African friendly, crushed coral is easier to maintain. If you will have fish of the Americas, no need for Aragonite sand
Suprd71
Suprd71
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:30 am

Aragonite is also commonly used in salt water aquariums. It's possible your new tank was a SW tank in a previous life. I have it in two of my SW aquariums and use a siphon to clean the sand. It takes a little practice to get the knack of plunging the siphon into the sand and pulling it out so you suck up the gunk but not so much that you siphon out the sand in the same process.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Earhtmother Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:22 am

I am not sure what I am putting in tanks yet as I am trying to reduce the number of tanks I run by combining some 30 & 35g into a 65 & 70g. I am on a well and it is naturally 6.5/7 so the buffering (?) isn't needed I don't think, just figured I'd use what came with the tank and save on the cost of new gravel since the tanks were an unexpected cash output at this time but too good a deal to pass up at $200 for both -one is just the tank & the other is tank, stand & accessories included. I think I am putting my guppies in one and probably my angels in the other.

Earhtmother
Fish Fry
Fish Fry

Back to top Go down