Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watch your fish...

5 posters

Go down

Watch your fish... Empty Watch your fish...

Post by Sbenson11 Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Watch your fish…

That’s kind of an obvious statement don’t you think? Of course we all watch our fish; it’s the most relaxing part of my day.

However that’s not what I meant…

A number of years ago a very wise fish keeper told me that as part of my regular maintenance I need to watch my fish for signs of problems. He told me that each week I should sit in front of each tank and watch the fish. Not just sit there and randomly look around the tank, but pick out a particular fish and watch it for about a minute. Become familiar with it’s behaviorally patters, where it swims, how it swims and how it normally looks. Do this with a couple of fish in each tank each time. This way you will better recognise a problem before it’s too late to react.

I belong to a Facebook group of aquarium keepers in NL and regularly people come on posting a picture of a fish in full distress and more than likely on its way out. More often then note they say “I just noticed it today” Regrettably it’s often too late for any advice I or anyone else can give.

Unfortunately I to have become victim of such a situation recently. My tanks have steel wire mesh over them to prevent the Koi from jumping out and sometime you just don’t get a good enough look at them. Last week I removed the mesh from one tank to get a better look at them and to my horror I say this fish…

Watch your fish... IMG_20151107_141901_zpsokdp8jbp

He was in a tank of about 50 other Koi and just got lost in the shuffle. He was in obvious distress and he had to come out pronto. I moved him to a tub with fresh warm water, salt and a dip in some Tricide-Neo. Within a couple for days he was swimming around like he owned the tub. He is now moved into a 200G tank with a few buddies to keep him company. It remains to be seen how his side will heal and what he will look like in the future. He is part of group of six “Hi Utsuri” that I hope to start breeding next Spring and one of only two males I have. So it was pretty important that I was able to save him.

So the moral of this story is to watch your fish closely so you can catch any problems before they turn into emergencies.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Watch your fish... Empty Re: Watch your fish...

Post by Starfish Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Good advice Steve. Hope your fish recovers well. It would be a real shame to lose such a pretty fish as well as the possible offspring.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Definitely good advice as, although we all watch our fish - do we really "watch" our fish! I know I do...but, I have labelled myself as a little too cautious....however, my detailed observations have always paid off as I tend to notice when something is 'amiss' with a finned-baby! 

Great advice - everyone, "Watch your fish" Smile
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Well said Steve and alas we all have all been where you are now. Good Luck with this Male and hope he does well for you in the spring.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:03 am

Excellent point, vigilance is key in our hobby. If you keep your eyes open, it can be easy to see behavioural or physical changes.
Poor thing, hopefully it was caught in time. Keep us updated.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:31 am

Just a slight update on 希望 (Kibō) which is Hope in Japanese. I don't name many of my fish but this one seems fitting. He is doing great, the flesh and scales are almost fully grown back.

Will try and get a picture of him soon.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:43 pm

That's great to hear Steve! Looking forward to the photos.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Fores41 Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:05 pm

Glad to hear he is on the mend and hope for a picture. It always amazes me when you see an animal with a great wound heal.
Fores41
Fores41
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down