Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting up two tanks advice.

+4
CAAIndie
GaryE
Starfish
Fishypastor
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Setting up two tanks advice. Empty Setting up two tanks advice.

Post by Fishypastor Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey.New here and just getting back into hobby. Looking for advice and ideas on tank setup. Have an established community tank in basement with tropical fish (37 g) and a new 55 g upstairs. Am cycling with zebras and seeding with media from established tank. Would like to do cichlidds upstairs but not sure. Have a blood parrot downstairs (don't hate, only researched about them once I got home. Store was more than happy to sell). I would like to move him up into bigger tank but not sure what to put him with... sorry just randomness just looking for some ideas.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Setting up two tanks advice. Empty Re: Setting up two tanks advice.

Post by Starfish Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Sounds like you know what you are doing with the cycling, using established media and the danios. You have time to think about what you want to put in there while you patiently wait for the cycle to complete. I don't know much about blood parrots, so I won't be much help in deciding what to put in with it. I am sure you will get some suggestions from other members who are more familiar with cichlids. Are you looking to go with larger cichlids or dwarf cichlids?
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 pm

I am thinking dwarf... but not necessarily. Feel bad using the zebras to cycle the 55 because they are the same ones that cycled my 37... lol they are tough. But they are more than just a tank cycling fish my kids love to watch them chase each other around the tank... they are so fast.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Blood parrots get big, not so much in total length, but in bulk. They are also extremely aggressive when I've watched them, but the deformed mouths keep them from being able to do much harm.
I'm a purist, wouldn't touch those fish with a bargepole guy, but since you have him, you have a fish to take good care of.
I'm thinking you won't be able to put anything with him. You have to figure on success, and that means he'll soon reach full size, hopelessly dreaming of killing his tankmates with his teeth, but more likely to kill them with his size and attendant wastes...
Maybe some decent sized shoaling fish could swim around him.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Yah, If I'd have been more educated on the parrot I might have passed on him, but the fish stores are trying to move product. Have to admit he is an intriguing fellow, always hiding and moving stuff around. I've read/seen he might be ok with an oscar of equal size as long as tank not too crowded. Appreciate the ideas and feedback when people get a chance.

And yah, I agree. Now that I have him, he needs to get good care. Cheers.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:18 am

I would not go with an oscar, they get much too big in the end. If they don't have enough space it'll be a nightmare both for the fish and the owner.

Unfortunately that's another fish that some stores will attempt to push on customers when they are small, any they really aren't suitable unless you have some huge tanks (like Suprd71).

Perhaps some larger bodied, quick tetra might be an option with your parrot.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

https://www.canadaquaria.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_R Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:14 pm

55 seems pretty small for a mature Oscar, those things are HUGE!! But would I get one if I had the tank? Oh yeah I would!

There are so many beautiful cichlids that don't get over a foot long, I'm sure you'll find the perfect ones for you if that's the way your stick floats.
I've never seen a blood parrot up close, is it at least an interesting fish to you?

Dan_R
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Mmmm... thanks for the input the oscar is prob too big.

I do find the blood parrot fascinating. Always seems to be rooting around and watching his little cave. Seems to have personality.

What cichlids don't get huge and are good for somewhat of a beginner with cichlids? My wife wants color more than personality but I lean towards personality more than anything. Convicts? Is that a good idea. Say one blood parrot and a convict? Again, looking for input and ideas. Although I realize I have been told that the parrot won't tolerate anyone else in the tank with him.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:53 pm

If you are looking for a cichlid for your 37 gallon tank rather than in the 55 with blood parrot, consider something like pelvicachromis pulcher (often sold in stores as Kribs). Very interesting fish, generally good in a community tank. A pair would be very cool. 

As for the parrot, I'm really not sure you are going to have many choices for tankmates beyond some danios or medium or larger bodied tetra.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:30 pm

I agree with Indie. The kribs are very interesting and very colourful, suitable for both you and your wife. German blue rams are great option if your water is on the softer side. Both are dwarf cichlids that can be community fish in a 37g.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:51 am

What is a good source in Regina for Kribs if anyone knows? I've been reading about them and they seem like a great choice!
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:08 am

Well, I got my two Kribs... moved them into the 37g... and will move Clancy the blood parrot up soon. He is such a chicken, never leaves his little cave. The kribs seem to be somewhat shy as well, but interesting little faces. Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfish Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:48 pm

So is it a pair? Congrats on the new fish and post pictures when you can.
Starfish
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Yup a pair. And they seem quite content with the crowd of others.
That being said, I moved Clancy upstairs and as soon as I did Mr. Black Mollie thinks he's the hot shot and now wants to hunt everyone else down. Amazing how tank dynamics change when you add new/take away fish. Before the Mollie would hid out in the corner. Now that the king of the roost is gone, he thinks he is in charge. And before Clancy left it was always the Guorami who thought he was 2nd in command... go figure.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Is Clancy your parrot?

Congrats on your kribs! Should be great to watch.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Yes. My 5 year old helped me name him... seems like a good choice.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Very exciting. Love to see some photos of your new kribs! Where did you end up getting them?
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:00 pm

I saw some around town today actually. I bet you got those. There was about 6 in the tank and one definite pair. Good luck, they're super fun fish! The mating rituals are fantastic, plus they're pretty decent parents!
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:13 am

Where did you see them? I picked mine up at petland. I was surprised that they had them. I need to get to the more experienced sellers. The store employees didn't even know what they were lol.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:35 pm

I can't offer any experience-based advice or knowledge in this area - I have never kept these fish! But, I am so looking forward to hearing updates, and maybe seeing a pic or two! Sounds like a fun adventure  Smile
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:13 pm

IM me if you wanna talk about the local shops here, maybe I can steer you in the right direction.  That's where I saw them too.  How are they settling in? They should color up quite a bit, they were still fairly small.
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 am

Hey... tried pming you, but the message only stays in the outbox not the sent box. Am I missing something?

In sad news, the male was dead this am. Female started this mad chasing and nipping episode last night and I figured it would stop once I turned the lights out. Figured it might just be them "figuring things out." I've seen this lots before in other fish. Most eventually work it out... guess they didn't. He was pretty beat up so hard to say how long it went. Amazing how this can ruin your day Sad Well onward and upward and time to regroup. Female seems quite content now... but now she's taken to going nuts on the zebras, but they are too fast.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by hello_rockview12 Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:41 am

I got the message, it goes to the sent box once I've read it! Smile

The krib game can be a slightly cruel one in that department. Just because you get a male and a female doesn't mean that they're a pair. They must not have "paired up" at the LFS. When I was there there was a very dominant female that was "showing" to one male only. The others would all get chased away including the other two females (they were hiding in the corners). It's basically up to the female to choose a suitable mate. If she doesn't like, she picks at him (glad the human dating game isn't like that or I'd have gotten beat up a time or two lol! Cool ). Don't get discouraged, it took me 3 or so tries to get a winning pair. Once you get them, its FANTASTIC!
hello_rockview12
hello_rockview12
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishypastor Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Cool. I hope I can get it to work. Am still feeling a little bummed but that's the way it goes I guess.
Fishypastor
Fishypastor
Angel Fish
Angel Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by CAAIndie Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Frustrating when they just don't want to pair up, and the aggression becomes serious.  I'll echo rockview,  don't get too discouraged.
CAAIndie
CAAIndie
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next