Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Aponogeton longiplumulosus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aponogeton longiplumulosus

Post by The PlantGuy on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 am

This is probably my favorite Apongeton.  I brought in 3 of these with my last Florida order as they are fairly rare and not readily available.  As i was getting ready to ship one out yesterday I noticed a really nice flower floating on the top.  I'm not sure why these plants aren't very popular.  Other than the madagascar lace, there isn't really much interest for some reason.

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Aponogeton longiplumulosus

Post by Starfish on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:09 am

That is a really nice looking plant and the flower is gorgeous. You would think it would be more popular.
Starfish
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 pm

I had on similiar that flowered constamtly. I am looking for some once i get my newest planned tanks ready to go.
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 am

The thing with aponogetons in general is that they are one of the strongest root feeders I have ever found. Where tiger lotus, crypts and amazon swords still thrive in nutrient based substrates, the aponogeton doesn't anymore. At least that is my experience with them.

I have recently changed out the substrate in a tank where I keep them and I am giving mine their last chance to show their worth...
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by The PlantGuy on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 am

so you're saying a nutrient rich substrate isn't enough for them?...I'm a little confused by your comment. I haven't kept them for any long periods of time in my tanks other than crispus and undulatus but they seem to be ok..

The PlantGuy
Sponsor

http://www.theplantguy.org

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm

i think my was crispus. They were rooted in a sand substrate with a couple of pirahnas in a low light tank. they took over the tank. I don't think substrate is as important to them as maybe water column nutrients? the root system was massive though. I was able to see the bottoms of my tanks,....
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum