Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rasbora alexi?????

3 posters

Go down

Rasbora alexi????? Empty Rasbora alexi?????

Post by Biulu Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:29 pm

I was in an lfs this afternoon and saw a beautiful fish in one of their show tanks. I asked the responsible person whether she knew the name of the fish and she proudly said: yes, it is a rasbora alexi!

Well, you guess it: I have been looking up this fish in internet and there doesn't seem to be such fish!

Here is a phone picture of it. Maybe somebody recognises it. It is the fish swimming to the right, left from the harlequin.

Rasbora alexi????? 15105532230_69b7aed531_zIMG_0484[1] by Biulu, on Flickr
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Rasbora alexi????? Empty Re: Rasbora alexi?????

Post by caoder Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:21 pm

looks almost like a p. furcatus maybe a rainbow of some sort? Furcatus/ threadfin?
caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by caoder Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:27 pm

caoder
caoder
Pleco Poster
Pleco Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Yep! Looks very much like it. This one had a bit more of a lyretail and was somewhat stockier but all fish in that tank were big and stockier than you'd expect.

Thanks! Nice fish and great for our Montreal water!
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryE Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 am

If I am looking at the right fish, it was Telematherina ladigesi, but I believe it was moved to another Genus. It is a "rainbow", but from a different evolutionary pathway. They have probably been a freshwater species for only a few thousand years, and really need a high mineral content in their water.
They used to be really common in stores, as a more expensive shoaling fish. I bought some a long time ago and bred up a tankfull - it was really beautiful. Males are spectacular.
Alas, they have become less common as they have very little resistance to fish tb, and that great Asian factory farm disease has decimated them. They are known as serious carriers of that pathogen. When I had my little bout with fish tb ten years ago, that was the species I caught it from.
I just looked it up in fishbase - Marosatherina ladigesi. Most fish sources still use the old name as it was popular under it.
GaryE
GaryE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum