Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New tank mates for the guppies

+8
nyleveiam
Biulu
Sbenson11
CAAIndie
guppyguy
alexmtl
Starfish
Shell
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New tank mates for the guppies  - Page 3 Empty New tank mates for the guppies

Post by Shell Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

I responded to an ad on Kijij for cory catfish. She said that she has eight, at least, cory catfish (I.e. Maybe more, maybe less), some are bronze, and others are albino. I think these guys will do well in our 20 gallon long guppy tank. It has sand substrate. Just sharing the news. I do hope everything works out and I can pick them up tomorrow. I have to drive about 45 minutes to an hour to get to them. We do have a styrofoam box to put them in, hopefully that will help with the heat reduction.  Very Happy 

These cories are much bigger than the guppies. As far as I know, cories are very peaceful though. Our panda cory, Callie, is extremely peaceful! I think there is no reason to be concerned though, right?
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

New tank mates for the guppies  - Page 3 Empty Re: New tank mates for the guppies

Post by Shell Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:55 pm

No luck this time around. All of the eggs are gone, and I do not see any fry  Crying or Very sad

I have the mop ready, and once we have the new 55g up and running, I'll have an extra 10g to use as a fry tank. Fingers crossed this happens again!!!!! 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

New tank mates for the guppies  - Page 3 Empty Re: New tank mates for the guppies

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 pm

hope so.....
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:06 am

Just put a new piece of driftwood in for the cories and....couldn't believe it - I saw the smallest, most adorable little wriggler!

I'm not sure what the survival rate is for these guys, especially where he is in the main tank with 10 adult cories and two feeder guppies.  I also noticed that he is getting 'pushed' around by the other cories (thy are not doing this on purpose - it just looks like the little guy is amidst a windstorm when they pass by).

I lost him now - can't see him anywhere!!!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Never did see that little guy again in the tank, he could be hiding (doubtful  Crying or Very sad) ...but I suspect he did not make it, poor little guy. Vixie, however, just spread more eggs all over the plants and glass! I, however, am not sure what to do as I am using a bucket we usually use for WCs for the fry that came from Scarlett's eggs! I am running out of buckets...I hate to just leave them as I know they will be eaten by the snails, guppies, and/or cories! I hung a moss ball near the filter, and we have a homemade mop - they completely ignore both! Grrr...
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Biulu Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Buy an extra bucket or use a 1 litre yoghurt tupper or actually any plastic container for hatching the eggs. After hatching you can put them in with the other fry for grow out.
Biulu
Biulu
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:41 am

She did not lay too many eggs in comparison to Scarlett, and unfortunately, they do not look to be fertilized - they are all bright white. Hmmm.....!
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykuhl Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Don't rule that little guy out quite yet, you may see him make an appearance again, bigger than the last time.

Years ago I had one lone apistogramma fry survive in a community tank where every other fry ended up getting eaten. I originally thought that I had lost all of them but then a couple months later I see tiny fish pop out and I realize it is one of the Apistos. I kept an eye out for him since then and I noticed he would pop out of hiding every so often to grab a bite to eat and then go back into hiding again. He kept doing this till he gained more size, then hew as out in the open with the rest of the fish. This little guy was a real survivor! I was actually proud of him lol.

Mykuhl
Shrimp
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shell Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Mykuhl wrote:Don't rule that little guy out quite yet, you may see him make an appearance again, bigger than the last time.

Years ago I had one lone apistogramma fry survive in a community tank where every other fry ended up getting eaten. I originally thought that I had lost all of them but then a couple months later I see tiny fish pop out and I realize it is one of the Apistos. I kept an eye out for him since then and I noticed he would pop out of hiding every so often to grab a bite to eat and then go back into hiding again. He kept doing this till he gained more size, then hew as out in the open with the rest of the fish. This little guy was a real survivor! I was actually proud of him lol.

That certainly would be a neat surprise! We'll see, maybe I have a survivor in there somewhere too  Very Happy 
Shell
Shell
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3