Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Canadaquaria. Members please log in.

Please register to view all topics

Guests may view and use the Aquariums for Beginners area, Freshwater General Section without registering.

Registered members see Canadaquaria advertisement free.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Pond for my Goldfish?!

+2
nyleveiam
goldfishbetalover
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Pond for my Goldfish?! - Page 2 Empty A Pond for my Goldfish?!

Post by goldfishbetalover Fri May 30, 2014 6:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

So we are reflecting about the possibility of creating an outdoor pond for our comet goldfish!
we have recently relocated to another property that we own and do believe that we will remain here!
the yard offers much space! which is awesome!
Shell tells me the deeper the better so it seems a backhoe would be in order.....
what about cost?
Others who have outdoor ponds could you tell me please what the tab has looked like? Thanks so much in advance!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

A Pond for my Goldfish?! - Page 2 Empty Re: A Pond for my Goldfish?!

Post by nyleveiam Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Steve, I do, I have a regular sump pump and it pumps to a pressure filter then to the UV light then to the waterfall, so when that waterfall slows I have to rinse the sponge. I got a new filter this year and can't stop it leaking for some reason so I have set it right next to the pond leaning over so it leaks back into the pond. Works for me and the pond!!! It is black so is shaded and hidden by a HUGE hosta plant.
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:42 pm

I was recently chatting with one of the teachers at our sons school....she has ponds....goldfish ponds and trout......she says her goldfish pond has a filter but no heater it is 3 feet deep and they live outdoors all year round and she has never lost a fish!
suppose this is just luck????????
I am going to ask her if I can go and visit!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Could be a number of reasons,

is it up against her house? how heavily is it stocked, if lightly not as many fish respiring under the ice. Might just be in a area that doesn't get as cold. If you travel a few miles in either direction from my house you can run into two different climates. Does she leave the filter running all year round.

For sure it is the exception not the rule. Everyone has their own experiences in this hobby to draw on, doesn't mean they will work for everyone. I'm sure some people must think I'm in crack when they read some things that don't jive with what they have experienced.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:20 pm

thnx Steve, nope I don't think that at all of you! You are the MASTER!!!!!
I am going to see if I can go and visit her and ask some questions!
I am not leaning toward leaving them outdoors all year if we do proceed with this...our son says he would be far too worried about them in the winter as would I!!!!!
I do not know if they filter runs all year or not will have to check that out!
Nonetheless she says they stay there ALL the time and she has NEVER lost a goldfish!
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishbetalover Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 pm

if a pond is closer to the house chances are it would be warmer?
goldfishbetalover
goldfishbetalover
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:37 pm

My pond is surrounded on three sides by a 5 foot stone wall holding back the "upper level" where the house and dog yards are.  As a result, the only exposure is due East, which is warmer AND the house and sheds and that wall shelter the garden and pond from the winds of Winter.  BUT, snow will also build up there with no disturbances all Winter so that insulates it as well.
In the Summer that same wall and house and sheds, and some HUGE maple trees, shade the pond and garden from about 2pm on, so it is nice and cool and refreshing down there as well. Kind of makes getting my pond lilies to blossom a bit difficult due to only about 5 or 6 hours of sun, but they do manage to get a few blossoms during August and early September.

Went down tonight and it is surrounded by MOSQUITOES, which aren't so refreshing!!!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:38 pm

goldfishbetalover wrote:if a pond is closer to the house chances are it would be warmer?

If it's up against the house it will get some heat from the house and not freeze as solidly. Mine however are raised and tend to freeze more then a pond that is flush to the ground. I prefer it raised so you can sit on the edge and watch your fish rather then having to stand and look down at them.

not sure how close you live to Halifax, but probably the best pond in the Atalntic provinces in just outside Halifax. Graham just loves to show off his fish.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Post by nyleveiam Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Sbenson11 wrote:
nyleveiam wrote:Steve, it is also an easy way to tell when your filter needs cleaning!!!

In reality I try not to disturb it much during the summer, unless the water slows and I have to clean it. One cycle a season is enough for me, so I try not to trigger one.

Steve

I must live right or something because I have never had issues with my pond cycling.  Spring comes, I clean out the dead leaves and fill the pond, set up the filter and pump and a few days later I put in the fish.  Water stays clear and fish stay happy.  
Is it because I always leave a layer of gravel/sand in the bottom and it is never dry nor does it ever actually freeze solid????
I am not complaining, you understand!!!  I have three friends with smaller ponds and they are always complaining about cloudy and/or green water.  I do have some algae growing on the sides but the goldfish quickly keep that under control by eating it.  (they also ate every single piece of the quart of duckweed I put in there the other night... not a single piece survived!!!
nyleveiam
nyleveiam
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbenson11 Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:01 pm

nyleveiam wrote:
Sbenson11 wrote:
nyleveiam wrote:Steve, it is also an easy way to tell when your filter needs cleaning!!!

In reality I try not to disturb it much during the summer, unless the water slows and I have to clean it. One cycle a season is enough for me, so I try not to trigger one.

Steve

I must live right or something because I have never had issues with my pond cycling.  Spring comes, I clean out the dead leaves and fill the pond, set up the filter and pump and a few days later I put in the fish.  Water stays clear and fish stay happy.  
Is it because I always leave a layer of gravel/sand in the bottom and it is never dry nor does it ever actually freeze solid????
I am not complaining, you understand!!!  I have three friends with smaller ponds and they are always complaining about cloudy and/or green water.  I do have some algae growing on the sides but the goldfish quickly keep that under control by eating it.  (they also ate every single piece of the quart of duckweed I put in there the other night... not a single piece survived!!!

You obviously have a well balanced pond, just knock on the closest piece of wood, I do. Smile

I get the same question all the time, "how is your water so clear"

Not over populated with fish, plants, UV and a mech/Bio filter. For me I don't rely to heavy on the filter, it's just well balanced.

The hairy algae on the sides is fine, I get that to and the fish love it, when they run out of duckweed. Smile I grow the duckweed in a rubbermaid tub and feed it to them as it grows.

Steve
Sbenson11
Sbenson11
Support

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2